- s i x t e e n -

"Wake up, Sweetie." A familiar voice spoke softly close to my head, shaking my shoulder.

I groaned in response, "Buzz off." I feel like I just fell asleep 5 minutes ago and I didn't want to get up. Is this what depressed people feel like?

"That's not very nice, sweetie." The voice chuckled lightly and I shrugged their hand off my shoulder.

"That's the nicest way I could phrase it." I mumbled into the pillow and prayed silently to the Goddess above that this bitch would leave me the hell alone in the next 2 seconds.

"And I appreciate the effort and I'll reward you for it later. However, I let you sleep for the past 4 hours and you need to get up and eat, drink some water, and stretch."

"No. Keep your dumbass reward and let me sleep. I'm not up to fuck. I'm also not hungry or thirsty so buzz the fuck off." I grumbled, letting the swear words emerge instead of restraining them. What he going to do? Hurt his mate? I'll report him faster than he can swing at me. I'm not afraid anymore.

"Mm, I'll just pass off your attitude as cranky because you just woke up. Now up. You can sleep again in a few hours." He proceeded to rip all the blankets off of me and scoop me into his arms, bridal style. I'm a daze, I didn't comprehend what happened until a few moments later.

I looked around the dark room. Large floor length blackout curtains were pulled shut to cover the floor length windows that made up the whole wall in front of the bed. They weren't shut when I went to sleep earlier. Light still flooded in through the smaller windows around the room and from the cracked open bathroom door.

"Put me back down." I pushed against Lukas but instead his grip tightened.

"Now why would I want to do that? I got the most precious thing in the world in my arms right now. Why would I put it down?" Lukas cooed and my face felt the familiar burning sensation that Lukas always caused.

My words came out as stutters before I finally pulled together a sentence, "Y-You're not funny! Put me down!"

"I'm not funny but your little sex jokes are? I don't see how that makes sense, Sweetheart." Lukas smiled as he started walking out the room and through the house. I tried to push my way out of his arms but Lukas wouldn't allow it.

"Are you trying to fall down another set of stairs, Grayson?" Lukas scolded me as I squirmed around in his arms going down the stairs.

"It would be for the same reason too." I mumbled, stopping my movement until we reached the bottom floor.

Lukas glanced down at me and sighed, "You shouldn't have been there in the first place. It all could've been avoided."

"You shouldn't have been there in the first place." I mimicked him in a high pitched voice. "I shouldn't be in Maine right now so what's the fucking difference?"

"Don't use that tone with me. I don't appreciate it and you won't appreciate the consequences. You're on thin ice right now so let's not push it, understood?"

"Are you really threatening to hurt me right now?" I glared at my hands that were sitting in my lap and started picking at my nails. I knew he was the same as my deadbeat father.

His eyes widened and he set me down on the counter in the kitchen, trapping my body in between his arms.

"Look up, Gray." Lukas' tone turned quiet and soft; inviting.

I continued to look at my lap and picking at my nails. The hand to my right moved to separate my two hands. The skin around my thumb had started to bleed.