The Roof

Cole was left behind, beaten to the floor. He just laid there hoping that nobody would notice him. Hoping that Hans and his crew wouldn't suspect that he was still conscious and beat him again.

When the bell rang and he was sure they were gone, he weakly pulled himself to his feet. Bracing himself against the wall, and using his hair to cover his face, Cole walked to the cafeteria to be with his friends.

"Oh, Cole, not already," Zie reached out for her friend after she saw him sit down.

Between the scary girl and his whipping Cole didn't feel like talking about anything, "I don't want talk about it."

"I should have been there, Cole, I would have gone down fighting with you." Gus said swinging his fists. He then noticed that Cole didn't have any food. "Hey Cole, ain't you hungry? You can have what is left of my lunch." Gus slid his tray of food toward Cole, only to have Cole slide it back.

"I am not hungry," that was a lie. Cole was starving but he didn't want to risk being beaten up again and throwing up on Hans. He had done that before and it hadn't ended well.

"Cole, you have to stand up for yourself, tell someone," Jaq pleaded.

"I have tried everything, and I said 'I don't want to talk about it.'" Cole was done with this conversation. He got up and left before they kept pestering him about things that he had no power over.

"Oh Cole," he heard Zie call after him, but that only made him want to disappear more, so he did.

Cole found his way to the roof of the school through the maintenance door, he opened the door using a key he stole from the janitor. Ok, the janitor took pity on Cole and gave him a copy so that he could get away from Hans and his other tormentors.

Cole sat against one the walls in the shade and out of sight of the door, in case anyone stumbled through. That was when he heard the crunch of footsteps against the gravel. He looked up as Jaq tossed him a carton of chocolate milk, Jack's favorite, and sat next to him in the shade.

"Hey man mind if I sit with you?" Jaq asked.

Cole looked at him and with a glance that said that he didn't care and continued to gaze at the sky, "thanks for the milk."

That was all they said for about an hour, it was what Cole needed right now, someone to just sit with him in silence. A friend, that meant if he was caught up here at least he wouldn't be alone. They drank their milk and bonded in the semi-silence as they watched what students they could see from the roof.

Jaq was surprised when Cole broke the silence.

"Crap, I left my backpack in the bathroom."

"Which bathroom?" Jaq asked.

"The special needs one," Cole answered.

"We will grab it eventually, besides Mr. Porter probably has it and thinks that it is one of the special needs kids bag."

Cole hoped for that, he didn't want to set foot in that bathroom again.