The Family

Cole thanked whichever God, or whatever almighty being, shielded him from Hans' discovery for the rest of the day, and that Mr. Porter had his backpack so he didn't have to go into that accursed bathroom ever again.

After school, Cole had a part time job at a local Ice Cream shop. It wasn't much, but it put just enough food on the table. Today his work was packed after the first day of school so he wasn't able to get it off. However, the best part about the job was that it was really far out of the way, which meant he never had to see Hans or his goons.

While at work, Cole saw a beautiful girl come in, she had silky blond hair and sapphire eyes that transfixed him. He made sure to give her an extra large scoop of ice cream, she thanked him and paid with a debit card. He read her name off the card and recognized her from school.

"Thank you for coming, Elsa," Cole said.

"No, thank you," she smiled and left with her friends.

Cole finished the day late, closed the ice cream shop with his boss and picked up some take out from one of the restaurants still open at ten at night.

When Cole got home, he pulled out his keys and opened the door while holding the bag of warm food in his mouth. His apartment wasn't big but it was home, technically. His father sat on the couch reading a newspaper he looked up and waved at Cole before returning to his paper. That was a good sign, sort of. He dropped the bag of food on the coffee table in the living room where his father sat. Jack walked to the kitchen, he pulled a cup out of the cupboard and milk out of the fridge and poured himself a cup before he returned to the front room to enjoy his food.

As he started to pull out a burger and fries, Molly his younger sister about the age 13, came out of the woodworks came out to steal a fry. Cole playfully swatted away her hand while he had a mouth full of burger. She smiled and left him alone to eat his food in piece. That was when his mother stood in front him and pointed toward the kitchen, giving that look only a mother could give when you had forgotten to do something important. Jack turned around and winced as he saw what she was pointing at, he had left the fridge open and the milk on the counter. Cole quickly fixed the situation and returned to his food, which he devoured since he hadn't eaten anything all day long.

A noise went off and Cole's father looked over his newspaper at Cole. Cole realized that his cell phone was ringing, "Sorry," he apologized and his father went back to his paper.

"Hello?" Cole answered the phone when he saw it was his Aunt Ariel. She lived in Europe and he knew if he didn't answer when she called she would have a panic attack and probably call out every army she could think of to track him down.

"Hey, Sweet heart, are you free to talk?" Her sweet voice said over the phone.

"Ya, I'm home alone, I just got back from work," Cole said, the ghosts of his parents disappeared when he looked up from his phone. The the heartbreak if the reason for his loneliness tugged at his soul. Cole's family had died in a horrible car accident earlier in the summer, the day after Coles eighteenth birthday. His father and Molly were killed instantly when their car was t-boned. Cole and his mom had been rushed to the ICU, where his mom had died and where he had spent a week in a coma.

Ariel and Eric had been the most supportive of him in his time of need, and travelled all the way from Europe to be with their oldest nephew. Over the course of the summer instead of going on vacation like normal people, Cole had spent the time burying his family. He didn't know which was worse, the accident or the loss of his family, but something had broken in him after that. He routinely saw his dead family around his new apartment. Which was something he would never admit to Ariel, Zie or anyone else, the last he needed was for people to think he was crazy or broken. Their presence made him think himself crazy, yet it also comforted him a slight degree.

At the end of the summer, Cole had decided to stay at Diamond Peaks to finish and graduate High School with his friends, and then go to college in Europe and stay near Aunt Ariel and Uncle Eric. It was days like today that made him regret that decision but he couldn't just up and leave Zie.

"So tell me about your day?" Ariel asked. She had been trying to fill the gap her sister had left in Cole's life as best as she could. As it turned out he really looked forward to her calls, she really had been helping him get through everything.

"Well I saw this pretty girl today..." Cole started.