Normalcy?

True to his word, Gus stayed by Cole's side as his bodyguard. When Cole had texted that day when Elsa took him home, Gus had a fit. At that point Cole agreed to keep Gus in the loop. Cole had begun to notice that whenever certain people were around, he didn't see bloody visions. When he was home around his 'family' he was safe, and when his friends or Elsa, he was safe.

He spent the weeks following this revelation dashing from person to person whenever he could. When he couldn't, he kept his head down, literally. He was more than grateful for Gus for not only for keeping the demon at bay but Hans as well.

There had been another unexpected benefit of that day Elsa drove him home. She started talking to him on a semi regular basis, nothing special, just: how are your classes, how are you teachers, etc...

Elsa had also started wearing gloves to school, and there was gossip about a distance growing between her and her boyfriend Flynn.

For a those couple weeks, as crazy as Cole's life was, he thought he might actually survive high school and graduate.

He almost felt normal, and almost felt safe.

Almost...

Until that day, that day that would change everything...

Cole waved good bye to the last customer leaving the Ice cream shop while he locked up. Gus didn't usually follow him to work but Cole had a nasty vibe all day and asked him to tag along, he even bribed him with some free ice cream for his time.

Gus munched on his waffle cone while Cole cleaned and closed up the ice cream shop. Even though he was glad Gus was around, Cole couldn't shake the vibe he had all day. It had been two weeks since he had seen blood or anything spooky and he was beginning to chalk it up to something he ate that week.

Once he had finished all his duties he and Gus slipped out the back door. Between the ice cream shop and another building was a long stretch of alleyway. In front of the shop was the customer parking lot but employees had to park behind the shop and the quickest way was through the alley. Cole imagined this place was relatively safe since there was an obvious camera outside the shops door to deter any would-be burglars.

Gus clutched his thin jacket to his frame. "I don't know how you do it Cole, it was cold in there and even colder out here, where is your jacket?"

Cole laughed at his friends grief, he had found it easier to smile and laugh these last couple of days it was the first time he could remember being happy since his parents died. "You get used to it, it is warm for a fall evening." He teased.

"It's not funny man, I'm freezing. If we don't get to the car soon you'll be serving a new flavor of ice cream called Gus Gus sherbet." Gus grimaced.

Cole's laughter died when he saw a collection of shadows at the end of the alley. Their forms were silhouettes in the street lamp light behind them. Cole turned to look behind him to see more shadows, they were surrounded.

"That doesn't look good," Gus sobered.

Cole shook his head in agreement and clenched his fists, he could tell by the way they held themselves exactly who they were. But the person that caught his eye was the one standing arrogantly in the middle as the leader... Hans.