6 | stranger danger

***********************************************************************

I have a feeling that Edward has never been to La Push before.

Why?

Because it's not crowded at all.

I mean, maybe it's crowded during the summer months when it's warmer, but still, there's barely any people here as far as I can see. It's a cold, crisp day with plenty of wind forming waves for surfing. I can spot several surfers sprinkled throughout the water, just calmly riding the waves. There are seagulls all around us, searching for food, making noises as they fly around. I casually inhale some salty ocean air, the scent filling my nostrils like a calming aroma. I soak all of it in, reminiscing about all the times I spent back at my old beach in California.

It's nice to be by the ocean again, even if it is kind of freezing outside.

"Hey, it's freezing," Mike complains as he zips up his skintight full-body swimsuit. I finish zipping up my own full-body swimsuit and wait for the others to finish.

Tyler jogs past us with his surf board under his arm. He only has on a T-shirt and a life jacket. "I'm paddling out, Coates," he mocks us before taking off towards the waves.

I roll my eyes at Tyler. Once he gets into the freezing cold water, he's gonna regret not wearing a full-body swimsuit.

"I don't know if it's worth it anymore," Eric doubts, referring to the cold weather.

Jessica finishes zipping up her swimsuit. "We drove all the way out here. I'm at least paddling out," she says.

Mike is next to finish zipping up. "Yeah. She's right," he tells Eric.

"You guys are babies," Jessica teases the boys. Jessica pulls back at her zipper again. When she realizes that she isn't able to zip it up completely, she asks Angela to help her. "Hey, will you do me up?"

"Yeah," Angela says.

Angela and Bella are sitting in Eric's van with the doors open. They have jackets on. The two of them are too cold to go surfing with the rest of us.

Three boys with russet-colored skin walk up to Eric's van. They all have long raven-black hair. I don't recognize any of them.

"Bella," one of them greets.

"Hi, Jacob," Bella greets in return. "Guys, this is Jacob," she introduces.

Jacob gestures to me, Jessica, and Angela with his hand. "Hey, guys. How you doin?" he greets politely.

"Hey," Jessica greets with a small wave.

"Hi," says Angela.

"Nice to meet you," I say politely with a nod.

Jacob goes over and sits comfortably next to Bella in the open car. They talk for a bit. Something clicks in my mind immediately. Of course, Jacob is another one of Bella's fanboys. I should have known.