7 | dinner by candlelight

***********************************************************************

After Edward calms down, I tell him that I was supposed to meet my friends at the Waterfall restaurant. He offers to drop me off there, and I allow him too.

Once he parks his car, I hop out and jog towards the front of the restaurant. As soon as I'm about to head inside, Bella, Angela, and Jessica come walking out.

I'm too late. They've already eaten without me.

Angela is the first to notice my presence. "Where were you? We left you messages," she asks, concerned.

"Yeah, we waited," Jessica begins, rubbing the back of her neck, "but we were, like, starving, so we . . . "

I open my mouth to explain when I feel a presence come up from behind me. It's Edward.

"Um, I'm sorry I kept Rebecca from dinner," he apologizes. "We just sort of ran into each other and got talking." He smiles at my friends politely.

Grins form on Angela and Jessica's faces. I know exactly what they're thinking. Bella also grins at me, but she looks me right in the eyes, sending me a message through her chocolate brown irises, look at you, girl.

Jessica and Angela start to laugh awkwardly like two school girls covering for a friend.

"Yeah. No," Jessica stammers. "No, we totally understand. I mean, that happens, right? Yeah . . . "

"We were . . . " Angela trails off.

"We were . . . " Jessica speaks up. "Yeah, we were just leaving." Jessica, Angela, and Bella walk out onto the sidewalk. "So . . . Rebecca, if you wanna . . . "

Edward turns to my now extremely flustered friends. "I think I should make sure Rebecca gets something to eat . . . if you'd like," he adds.

My heart feels like it wants to explode. I can't believe that Edward is asking me if I want to eat dinner with him. Of course, I do. I'm honored that he even feels the need to take care of me like this. The thing is, I'm so confused by his actions. One second he's nice to me, and the next he acts like he never wants to talk to me again.

Nonetheless, I follow my heart and give Edward my final answer. "I'd love that. Thank you," I say.

"I'll drive you home myself," Edward states.

Warmth fills inside my stomach. This is completely unlike Edward. He's being so sweet to me. A part of me wonders if I'm dreaming or not.

Angela nudges me with her side, indicating that I'm not, in fact, dreaming. "That's so thoughtful," Angela gushes.

Jessica nods in agreement. "It's really thoughtful, yeah," she says with a hint of awkwardness filling her tone.

I know what they're thinking. How did I manage to snag Edward's attention while lots of other girls have tried before and failed. Truth be told, I have no idea. Seriously, I'm still convinced this is just a really good dream.