15 | save me

***********************************************************************

I shoot up in bed, propping myself up on my hands. For a second, I forget where I am. My surroundings render unfamiliar to me. That's when I remember the events that took place before I fell asleep.

I'm in a hotel room in California with Alice and Jasper. They're in the other room right now. They allowed me to take a nap for a while to get my strength back.

I put a hand up to my forehead. Still, that doesn't explain the current pit of worry in my stomach that's driving me crazy. It woke me up, and it's still not going away. These frequent episodes of fearful anticipation are really starting to get on my nerves. However, every time I feel like something's wrong, like something's about to happen, I haven't been wrong. It's helpful in a way, like a signal, allowing me to sense danger before it comes. I don't know if it's just me overreacting or if it's an actual skill I have developed overtime.

Since it doesn't seem like I'm going to be able to get back to sleep, I pull the covers off and hop out of bed. I want to see what Alice and Jasper are up too.

When I'm in the other room, I'm surprised to find that Alice and Jasper are gone. I sigh. They probably went out hunting. I know that it's still sort of difficult for Jasper to be around me, and Alice probably went with him just to be safe.

Ring. Ring. Ring.

It's my phone. Maybe it's Edward. Alice said he would call me as soon as they led James a good distance away.

I scramble over to my backpack and pull it out. Immediately, I hit accept.

"Edward?" I hesitate hopefully.

"Forks High School doesn't protect its students' privacy very well," says a deep, eerie voice.

My heart gets stuck in my throat. I drop the phone in horror.

No. No, it can't be. It's James, but-but how?

I scoop the phone off the floor and bring it back up to my ear. "What do you want?" I growl. I have never, ever used this tone before. It even scares me.

"What?" James taunts, "not even curious how I got your number? It was just too easy for me to find your house. It's a nice place you have here by the way. I was prepared to wait for you, but what's the fun in that? Your grandparents were already here anyway, and it all worked out quite well."

Another pit forms in my stomach. My plan to keep James away from my house failed. He saw right through it. Gosh, dang it.

"Don't hurt them!" I yell. I tighten my grip on the phone. If I had super-strength, it probably would have been crushed already.

"You can still save them," James says smugly. I can picture the grin on his face. It makes me want to wreck this whole hotel room.

"How? How can I save them?" I beg to know. I grimace, hating the feeling of being at someone else's mercy, but I have no choice. I have to do whatever it takes to save my grandparents.