14 | escape to the hiding place

***********************************************************************

Once you have stumbled into the supernatural world, there is no turning back. Even if you want to forget about the supernatural, you can't, and you can't make the supernatural forget about you either. I know of the existence of vampires. I even became close with a coven of them, but now others of their kind know about me.

I wish I could just wake up and discover that all of this was just a nightmare. Then again, if this was all just a dream, then that would mean that I never actually met Edward. My life may be on the line right now, but I would never exchange my time with Edward for anything. I don't think I could live with myself if I just suddenly woke up only to discover that Edward was just a figment of my imagination.

There's a thunderstorm still hovering ominously over Forks. I wish it would just go away already because I'm terrified enough without thunder and lightning going off every few seconds.

As if the thunderstorm read my mind, a flash of lightning strikes nearby. It illuminates the area, and for a split second, I swear I see James standing out in the street, watching me.

In horror, my body goes limp again, and I fall to the ground on my own driveway. I land on my butt harshly. My backpack remains on my back, keeping me propped up on the ground.

I keep my line of sight focused on the street when another flash of lightning lights up the area. This time, when I look out at the street, no one is there. I sigh heavily. The James I saw was just a hallucination.

I carefully get back on my feet, surveying all around me as I do so. I may have hallucinated that I saw James, but that doesn't mean he isn't somewhere nearby. I quickly make my way to our family's spare car and hop inside. I toss my backpack into the backseat and scramble to get the key out of the glove compartment.

I use the key to turn the car on, and the engine revs to life. Nervously, I place my hands onto the steering wheel. The truth is, I don't actually have my driver's license yet. I have practiced before, so I'm not completely new to driving. But since I've always had someone to take me to school, whether it be my grandparents, Bella, or Edward, I haven't had the need to get my driver's license yet. I shakily pull the car out of the driveway. It's been a while since I've been behind the wheel.

Please, God, don't let me crash.

You got this I keep reminding myself. After about three minutes, I make it out of the neighborhood and onto another road. I'm not exactly sure where I'm supposed to be going. All I know is that I need to get as far away from my house as possible.

A loud bang to my left startles me. Out of the corner of my eye, I see something pale.

James.

Overcome by panic, I swerve the car to the right. I become blinded by something in front of me. Realizing that I'm headed straight towards another car in the opposite lane, I swerve the car back to the left. Adrenaline pulses through my veins.