Part 23

So I didn't actually kill him?" Petty Officer Righty asked.

"No you didn't." Bishop said, walking her through the bullpen. "By the time you stabbed Petty Officer Johnston he had been dead for a couple of hours, good news is we've asked for leniency and the judge agreed, bad news is, your time in the navy is probably over."

"I think I can live with that." The Petty Officer laughed. "Thank you Agent Bishop." She said, hugging Ellie. "For everything."

"Anytime, and Petty Offer, it's Ellie to my friends."

"Well then please call me Shelby." She said, shaking Ellie's hand.

"Okay, Shelby."

IN THE INTERROGATION ROOM:

"My client confessed under emotional distress from his unfaithful wife and her actions with the victim."

Gibbs and Nick shared a look then Gibbs looked back to Lieutenant Payne and his lawyer.

"I don't know about you, but that sounds like a motive, doesn't it?"

"Yeah I'd say it does." Nick nodded.

"There's two ways this could go for ya, Payne." Gibbs said. "First, you can listen to your lawyer and don't cooperate with us and when you're found guilty you'll be put on death row. Or you could write an official statement and confession and we'll tell the Judge that you cooperated and maybe he'll go easy on you and you'll only get 20 to life."

Payne looked nervously at his lawyer.

"I'd like a moment to discuss this in private with my client agents."

Gibbs nodded as he and Nick stood up and left the interrogation room.

Nick leaned against the wall near the door and asked. "So Gibbs, you think Lieutenant Payne will go for it?"

"He'd be stupid not to." Gibbs said, starting to walk away.

"Yeah okay, just walk off. I've got it from here." Nick shrugged, watching as Gibbs disappeared down the hallway.

OUTSIDE OF THE NCIS BUILDING:

Gibbs walked to the all too familiar coffee cart and ordered two coffees, one black with no sugar just the way he liked it and the other black with all the damn sugar his lady liked.

"Here's the one with seven sugars." The barista said, handing him the first cup. "And here's the plan black coffee."

"Thanks." He says, paying and taking the cups.

A FEW MINUTES LATER IN THE BULLPEN:

The elevator doors open and out walks Gibbs holding two paper coffee cups.

"Hey Gibbs." Ellie greets him as he walks by her desk only nodding slightly.

Ellie smiles, guessing where he's going.

Once Gibbs went upstairs and disappeared, McGee walked into the bullpen.

"Hey McGee."

"Oh hey Ellie." McGee says not really looking at her and sitting at his desk and starts shuffling the loose papers on it around.

"Hey McGee, you're acting kinda weird. Is everything okay with you?" She asked.

He stood up and said. "Uh yeah everything's good, I had uh a long morning." McGee nervously laughed and sat back down.

"Okay... then." Bishop raised an eyebrow at McGee as she continued working.

MEANWHILE IN JACK'S OFFICE: