Chapter Two

Onyx
    "Nyx are you awake? I brought you cookies!" I heard Ash call for me from the main room
    "I'm awake my love, what kind?" I rolled out of bed throwing on a t-shirt
    "Your favorite! Lavender and vanilla" She smiled and walked up to kiss my cheek "I'm free for today, I wanted to spend time with you"
    "I have some stuff to do, but you're more than welcome to join me" I offered "I need to collect some wood to fix up where the snow piled on the roof and eventually work on the well again."
    She smiled at me and skipped out the door, waving for me to follow. Her being here was better than always being alone. Her being the one to keep me hidden was an added bonus. You never know who is out there and what they may want.
    Today I had to leave the magical wall that kept me and my home invisible. Tera and the pups, even though they aren't pups anymore, came and went as they pleased. They would find me leaving home exciting and no doubt add comedy to the work.
    We walked to the border and I sucked my breath in as I walked through the wall. I found comfort that as long as Ash was here, my scent would be covered. I had my bow tucked on my back and started the hike to where the trees were the strongest. I didn't get around to fixing the roof last fall and I sure paid for it when the snow kept coming down.
    Flame led the way as me and Ash walked hand and hand admiring the place I called home. I will never be able to see her home, since it's forbidden to have a human enter it, but this will suffice. Witches normally have betrothed lovers, which is what humans would call a soul mate. Your other half in a sense.
Ash didn't have any interest in ever finding hers, claiming that what she had with me was enough for several lifetimes and no one else was for her. Which made me happy since she was really the only other person or creature that I knew. With her I would be safe from the beasts and happy.
Our days together normally went the same every time, fixing up my home, playing with the wolves, gathering herbs, her practicing her spells, and me learning how to cook different things. Today was going to be no different and I was content with it.
"I wish we could just run away. I cannot stand my family anymore" Ash pulled me from my thoughts.
"I know babe, but you can't till you're done with your training remember?" I insisted, it was her goal to earn her purple one day.
"I just need to escape for a while. My aunt won't leave me alone about you and how I'm not focused on the right thing" She groaned in annoyance, her aunt got on her nerves most of the time.
"I mean I know it would definitely cause issues but you could always stay with me for a few days? Just to regroup before going back?" I offered
"We've never done that before! How exciting" she clapped her hands and spun around in a circle
Tera growled at her for getting too close, I concluded that she found Ash majorly annoying. Old wolf.
"Yeah it could be fun" I smiled "We could sleep outside if you wanted?"
"Oh yes, I'd love to! I'll have to run home to pack but I'll wait till we get home" She practically sang and continued skipping around me while I gathered the wood.
"No you're fine. My scent is covered and I have the wolves, I'll be fine." The faster she left, the sooner she could return.
"Alrighty then." she kissed my cheek and disappeared into the trees
I shook my head, she's always up to something. Tera called to the pups to come close, just in case. I doubted that Ash's magic would falter, it never had before. It's how I've managed this long. Her mom first casted the spell when my grandpa went missing, Ash just gave it strength and added more area to it.
On the trek back Tera began to be stressed, but didn't alert any danger. She nosed me to hurry back to the wall, but not before I saw it. A large black wolf with red eyes just outside my wall with what I assume to be a witch gathering herbs. I never have seen a wolf that large, I wonder why it's this close.
It started looking in my direction and I walked behind the barrier to watch, just in case. It shifted into a human girl, with the prettiest long brown hair and green eyes. For a shifter, she was absolutely perfect. Snow growled and rolled her eyes at my reaction.
"Do you know her?" I asked them since their tails were wagging and they seemed excited to watch the human shift back into the beast.
"I'm assuming so, just be safe" I told them, I don't trust the shifter but I trust Tera's judgment.
I watched as the person with her climbed on and she scoped out the area one last time before heading deeper into the woods. Her wolf was beautiful and her eyes were imprinted into my brain and I couldn't get them out of my head.
I spent the afternoon fixing the roof, luckily my grandpa taught me how to use general tools. With no electricity and everything I did had to be done by hand or with Ash's help. I needed to figure out how solar energy worked, this was exhausting.
It was dusk before I started to get worried about Ash, and against my better judgment I went looking for her in case she got hurt. I grabbed my bow and my confusion dust and set out.
"I know this is a bad idea girl, don't give me that look" I told Tera who was dragging her paws
The pups had disappeared while I was fixing the well, which happens often since they like to hunt for us. Tera taught them well, and was proud every time they came back with something. But they had been gone for quite some time now and I was starting to feel slightly worried about it.
I heard howling in the distance which set me on edge. I didn't trust these woods too much now but I needed to find Ash. I needed to make sure she was okay at least.
"Oh my you have gotten big! Look at you, so pretty" I heard a voice say. Tera wagged her tail and ran directly to the sound.
"Oh it's you, pretty mama. You haven't aged one bit! In all these years, must be magic" the voice spoke again
I was hiding in a brush and didn't have a clear vision on who was speaking.
"Man do you guys smell that? It smells amazing" I moved closer to see the same girl from earlier back and petting my wolves. Who were all over her, odd.
She shifted into her large black wolf and snow ran right up to her and playfully greeted the beast. Flame did the same except attempted to jump up and bite her ear. She was at least the size of a horse, no wonder why my pa warned me not to get too close. One false move and I'd be bleeding out on the ground.
The beast must have heard me move, or my heart beat? I wasn't taught much about their abilities other than their strength. It inched towards me and laid down to be level with me, the pups jumping at her. She looked at them and growled and they bowed to her?
Tera came over and completely gave me away, and nodded her head showing me that it was okay. I crawled out and pulled out my knife, the beast seemed amused at my actions and sniffed at me. Her large snout inches from my neck.
"Hey! Get back!" I yelled "Don't think I won't use this dammit."
The beast backed away and went behind a tree, and out came the woman from before.
"Hello, mate. I'm Syn, who are you?" she asked sweetly walking closer to me, the wolves did nothing. So much for them protecting me.
"Mate? My name is Onyx, you must be mistaken my name is not mate" I tried to clarify while trying to back away from her.
"Oh! Humans. I thought you would know about my kind" she tossed her hair behind her back "I'm a werewolf, and you're my mate"
I cocked my head and stumbled back into a tree. "You're a shifter, go figure" I shot at her, the human comment irked me.
"I mean, we don't really like using that since that's what we were called before. It can be quite offensive" She fired back "Are these guys yours? I played with them years ago but I never saw you."
"There's a reason for that" I said "Now if you don't mind, I'll be going. I need to find my, well, my Ash"
The growl that erupted from such a small body was enough to cause all wildlife in the area to flee for safety in a mass mob.
"Who is this Ash? You are mine and I will not tolerate you being with another" She growled at me, her eyes flashing red.

Syn
Just my luck, I meet my fucking mate and he's not just human but in love with another. Davina threatened to take control and demand him to explain why he would want another when he has me now.
He stared at me in pure fear, but the wolves just stood their ground beside me. Ha your lil friends are on my side here. I quickly changed my tactic and decided to swallow my pride.
"I apologize, I'm an alpha by nature. We tend to be a bit possessive over our mates" I explained. His heart was racing and his breathing was uneven
"A what?" he asked, hm I wonder why he hasn't tried to run from me "I don't understand, all I know is that you're dangerous and I need to find Ash"
I lost it and Davina took the chase to come through
"We would appreciate it if you did not bring up your past lover" she said slowly, pronouncing each syllable with much malice. "You. Are. Mine"
Just as we finished he blew this powder in my face and took off and attempted to escape from me. Tough luck, human.  My stepmom is a witch and I know their workings like the back of my hand. I shifted and ended up ripping my last set of clothes, Vina would appreciate the chase.
She moved stealthily through the trees, with his pets following behind. They trusted me so why couldn't he?
He was just in arms reach when he vanished into thin air and I smacked right into a force field and bounced back 20 feet slamming into a tree. That'll take a bit to heal even for me.
The wolves came to a halt and disappeared into the abyss too, the male with a deep red coat stuck his head out and cranked it to the side. I know buddy, idk why I can't come in either.
The smaller white wolf came completely out and sat beside me by the tree. The other two followed and started whining. I was about to close my eyes and rest when my mate stepped through the wall.
"Are you alright?" he looked kinda concerned for me, cute "Oh wait, can you like talk in this form?"
Davina rolled her eyes and attempted to sit up but ended up falling back down. She didn't like feeling defenseless, especially around a stranger even if they were our mate.
"I'll take that as a no. Look I don't care if you come by to play with Tera, Flame, and Snow but I'd appreciate it if you forgot I exist. That's what that powder was for and it didn't work. Why didn't it?" He pushed, probably hoping I can speak.
"Can I have control D?" We may have scared him away from us.
She whimpered at the thought of losing our soulmate but gave up control reluctantly. I changed back and covered myself, I embarrassed myself enough today.
"No, I cannot speak. My wolf's name is Davina, she tends to be intimidating. To answer your question, let's just say we both have witches in our corner protecting us" I debated on saying the last part but, "I will not leave you alone, like I said you are mine."
"Stop saying that! I love Ash! She loves me! I don't know you!" He raved on and on, I watched his little temper tantrum
"Silly human, you must not know who I am. I am alpha of River Lotus, and no one challenges this alpha" I cut him off
"Other than your dad" Davina chimed in, I slammed my wall up not wanting to hear her little comments at a time like this.
"What even is an alpha" Onyx asked "What does that mean?"
"I am the leader of my pack, I lead them, protect them, love them, and serve them till my dying breath" my voice was filled with pride. Being a leader, especially a female leader was a big deal in my world.
"Okay, fine whatever. What is a mate then since you're so adamant that I belong to you now." he raised a brow, he was testing my patience at this point.
"You are the other half of my soul. It's a very important thing for me, and my pack. I need to have an equal in order to have balance" I explained it in the simplest way I knew how, it was way more than he would ever know.
"Oh well, thanks but no thanks." he turned around to walk away from me.
I slowly stood up trying to shake off the pain. I instinctively growled at the thought of him with this Ash woman, he may not have said it but I knew she was a girl. By the time I reached him he had disappeared again. His wolves looked at me with sad faces and followed him into the unknown.
"I don't know if you can hear me, mate but if you can I won't give this up easily and I will be back. If I bring my witch or not is up to you" I snarled at the wall and turned to return home.
My father was going to be beyond pissed at me for this one.