A**hole

For Brittanyisokay

FunNikkieFact #6: When moving into my house around January-ish was the first time that my family has lived in a house. Ever.

"So what's the story about you and pet?" Another man came to talk to me. He had long dark hair, a full beard, and a deep voice.

"Pet?"

"That's what we are suppose to call him. We aren't suppose to use his name. And we certainly aren't suppose to kiss him." The stranger whispered the last part to me. My eyes widened in a panic. "Don't worry. I'm not going to tell. I have a sweetheart of my own that I have to think about." I looked at Jack at the front of the group. I held my hand out for the stranger's hand.

"I'm Scott Hoying."

"Avi Kaplan. It's nice to meet you." We shook hands politely.

"Jack is really strict about Mitch, isn't he?" Avi nodded.

"He's hoping one day Mitch will love him. But Mitch wants someone of his own age. A word of advice?" I hummed my acknowledgement to him. "Don't go anywhere alone with Jack. He's already labeled you a threat for Mitch's affections."

"He's not wrong. I want to get to know Mitch. In a way, Mitch saved me. I'm not expecting him to fall in love with me. But being able to say hello or good morning everyday would be enough." Avi was looking at me with a small smile.

"I like you, Scott. You're honest. You don't expect fairytales to come true. You're not making anything up to please yourself."

"Well, thank you." We had to run to catch up to the rest of the group. That's when I heard Jack talking about Mitch.

"Why didn't you let Pet come?"

"Mitch doesn't need to be out here. Besides, he's the only person in the town with a feminine body." Jack elbowed his friend in a joking manner. They both snickered. I felt my jaw clench in annoyance. I've never wanted to beat someone so hard in my whole life. I wanted to knock his teeth out and slam his gum to clamp down on his tongue by kicking his lower jaw up. I didn't like this man. And my thoughts echoed my hatred.

"There's plenty of women in town, Jack."

"I don't want to deal with the drama. I don't want to be with a woman who holds gun. Mitch feels like a woman. Flat chested woman with hairy legs but still." I stayed silent and so did Avi. "Avi knows what I mean. It's different to pork another guy. They know what you like and they get off quicker." My hands clenched into fists and as if he was reading my mind, Avi's hand came to hold mine. He was trying to calm me. Jack. This chauvinistic pig deserved anything bad that was coming his way. He made my blood boil.

"Don't talk about my boyfriend like that." Avi's deep voice rumbled and I found myself becoming worried that the man next to me was going to lash out.

"So what about you, Blue? Any people in your life? Your little buddy seen any action?" I jumped away when he tapped the area around my crotch.

"No."

"A virgin? Interesting." Jack muttered under his breath.

"I was twelve when the world went to shit. Of course I'm a virgin." My sentence came out snappy. I didn't like him one bit.

"My first goal would be to get laid." He poked my side with his elbow just like he did to the other guy. "Don't want to die a virgin now, do you?" I narrowed my eyes at him.

"I honestly don't care. And I don't appreciate you talking about Mitch like that."

"Excuse me?" Jack stopped walking. I felt the tension seep from the people around me. I took a step back for insurance. If he wanted to start swinging, I wanted to see the hit coming. "What I do to and with him is my right. I saved his life."

"That doesn't mean you have to talk about him like he's a piece of meat. He's a human, not a zombie. And he happens to be my friend." I stood my ground. I had a couple inches on this older man. "You call him 'pet' when he has a name-" I gasped as Jack's hand came to grip my throat.

"A name that is only mine to utter."

"Who says so? Did he give you permission? Did-" The hand tightened to cut off my airways. My hands went to try and pry his away. He may be shorter but he had strength.

"The fact that I can put a bullet in his brain or throw him out to those devourers. I know Mitch's secret. Don't think so highly of yourself." I was almost out of air when a zombie stumbled into view. Jack dropped me, his hand going towards his gun. He easily pointed his gun and shot the abomination in the head, its brains spilling out as a black ooze that bubbled rhythmically. My hand went to rub against my throat. Avi held out his hand. "Don't help him. Trash deserves to be left on the ground." Jack spit at the ground by my feet.

"I'm sorry." Avi whispered apologetically. He had to refuse help. I stood up by myself, looking Jack straight in the eyes. But for some reason, my outlook of him changed. There was a sparkle of regret for treating me this way. But the most dominate was the need to protect. There was something about Mitch that made Jack become super protective. I don't think he's planning on trying to screw Mitch. I don't even think that he wanted to be mean. This was his way to protect Mitch from the rest of us. That must be a big secret they're hiding.

The rest of the time we were looking for supplies I thought about whether Mitch would tell me. Did he trust me enough after not seeing me for eight years? I wanted Mitch to be my friend. And being friends requires trust.

I just hope I'm worth it.