Doctor

For zgrey0436

"I don't feel comfortable with this." I watched Jack holster his gun. We were getting ready to go to the groups Doctor. Mitch was the one speaking. He was afraid that I was going to get killed.

"He just needs a check up. Something to prove that he's still human." I looked up from my lap at that word. Human. Could I still be called that? I told Mitch and Jack my thoughts after getting bit. That I could hear the zombie's thoughts and that my own echoed their worst thoughts. Jack was worried. He was worried that I might do something to Mitch and risk the cure. But I quickly explained that none of my bad thoughts were pointed toward Mitch. They were pointed towards others. Still, I didn't want to risk it. I thought about leaving in the middle of the night. Seeing as I don't sleep anymore.

"Scott." I was broken out of my thoughts by Mitch. He was standing in front of me, holding my hands in his. We were alone. "What are you thinking?" I sighed. I needed to be honest.

"I was....what if I left?" He shook his head.

"Please don't think that. I just got you back. I just found you." He put his forehead to mine. His hands came to rest on my shoulders. "I don't care what you are. I don't care what you do. You're still the same boy who took care of me those years ago. No matter if your eyes are red or you want to bite people." He laughed at his attempt of a joke and I couldn't help but join in.

"Mitch...." My hand came up to touch his chin.

"We still need to know what's going on. And Dr. O can help us. Even if it's to tell us there's nothing wrong." I laughed humorlessly at that last statement.

"Nothing wrong?" I pushed him away to go pace. "I don't fucking bleed, I don't feel any pain, I can see and hear everything- I fucking thought about taking a bite out of a man yesterday. There's something. I shouldn't be alive."

"Don't say that." He came to grab my arm.

"No!" I moved away. "I'm an abomination. I'm one of them yet still retained my human thoughts. My feelings. Just like they have when they're not blinded by hunger. What happens when I'm hungry? What if I can't stomach normal food? I'll just be a walking, talking zombie." I blinked, the tears falling down my cheeks.

"If you're an abomination, then so am I." He came to wipe away my tears with his sleeve. "We both shouldn't be alive and we are. Scott, I'm happy you're not dead. I'm happy you're not infected. Because you're here. With me." He moved forward. His lips stopped inches from mine. He was nervous. I closed the distance between us. It felt really nice to kiss him. Like I felt relaxed. A clearing of the throat broke us apart. I looked towards Jack in the doorway.

"We got an appointment with the Doctor." I nodded. It was the only thing I could think to do. I didn't know how to react to this. Jack was like a father to Mitch. And they both believed in the roll that they had together.

"Mitch? Did you get hurt again?" The Doctor teased as we walked through the door. I noticed Avi in the corner of the room. It looked like he was making food. He smiled over at me. This means....this was his husband. The chocolate skinned man smiled at his own joke.

"Not me. Scott needs a check up." The Doctor held out his hand for me to shake. I accepted it hesitantly.

"I'm not going to bite." He joked. I didn't laugh at it. I couldn't even force myself to. "I'm Kevin. Call me Kevin."

"Scott." How was he still so happy?

"Well, let's get you checked out."

"Don't you think this is something you would rather do in private?" Jack asked. Kevin's smile dropped.