Mall

For Scomichemylife

"That's so stupid." Avi said it before any of us had the guts to say it first. We were looking at a giant mall. Mitch was standing in front of us with his hands on his hips.

"Why? I've gone through a mall before."

"Yeah. And let us remember that." I spoke up now. He glared at me. I looked down.

"It's the fastest and easiest way. Otherwise we go through the woods where everything can be hiding. And there might be supplies in there."

"Yeah because in eight years no one thought to look in a mall." I was speaking again before I could even think.

"What is your problem?" Mitch confronted me in front of everyone. I decided to speak my mind.

"That's dangerous, Mitch. If you want to go and get yourself killed, then be my guest! But you're the only cure known in existence and you're throwing it away on being reckless!"

"Fuck you!" He screamed at me. I saw the tears on his waterline. We continued to stare at each other.

"Whoa...." Mitch and I broke our contest to look at the rest of the group. Kevin and Avi had these stupid little grins. Jack had his arms crossed. Kevin was the one who spoke. "The last time I felt this much tension-"

"Someone got laid." Avi finished his husband's sentence for him. Mitch and I got uncomfortable with that statement.

"I'm going through the mall. Join me or not. I don't really care." Mitch began to walk in without us. Jack and I quickly ran after him. I can't believe I was acting like Jack. But Mitch was the only hope for humanity.

"Mitch, stop!"

"Don't try to st-" I caught him right before he hit the ground and almost hit his head on a car. I pulled him back up into my arms.

"Watch where you're walking." He blinked slowly. I watched his eyelashes brush against his skin. God he was gorgeous. Not even seeing every flaw made him any less attractive.

"Did....Did you get stronger?" I noticed his hands holding my biceps.

"Another side effect it seems." I stood him up so he was paying attention to me. "Now if we're going to go through that damn mall, you are are going to stick behind Jack or I. Do you understand?" He seemed dazed. He just kept staring at me. "Mitch?"

"What?" He snapped back in.

"You will stay behind us. Do you understand?"

"Uh-huh." I noticed him swallow nervously. What's with the weird attitude now?

"Let's go." Jack nudged me forward. Mitch did as he said. He stayed between Jack and Kevin with Avi. I was walking ahead, looking for any signs of life. Or the undead. I noticed the shuffle marks on the ground. This mall wasn't empty. We went in a couple of stores to find supplies. There wasn't that much. But we were able to get some new clothes.

"Look at this." Kevin picked up an old CD player. Then he went over to a stereo system. "I bet we could play some of the best music." I stopped Kevin before he could turn it on.

"No. That's even more stupid than going inside the mall." I removed my hand slowly.

"Not even on a low setting." Mitch's small voice was behind me. I closed my eyes.

"No."

"Why not?" I turned on my heels to point at him.

"Because this could attract everything that has been laying dormant in this mall. No." Mitch's hands were once again on his hips.