CDC

For ilse2512

A/N- abrupt but the next chapter is the last

I let my fingers drift over Mitch's skin. His skin was so smooth. I went from his shoulder to his hip lightly. Then I came back up to touch the scar on his side. My hand outlined the jagged space where every tooth was sunk in. He sighed in sleep. I moved over to kiss his cheek. He woke up at the feeling. He gave me a lazy smile.

"Good morning." He spoke, closing his eyes again. I brushed the hair away from his face.

"Good morning. How are you feeling?" I brushed my thumb across his cheek.

"I'm feeling okay." He cuddled up to my chest. I held him. The others would be looking for us. And I didn't want them to find us the way we were currently. No clothes and curled up to each other.

"We need to find them. I think they're going to be very worried." Mitch rolled his eyes at me. We began putting back on our clothes. I re-patched his cut on his side.

"So...." Mitch started. I made sure the amateur stitches were holding up.  I touch the area around the wound gently. It didn't seem to be painful. Then again, I think I accidentally hit it a lot last night.

"So?" I looked up at him as I continued to finish dressing the wound.

"We can't tell Jack that we....well-" He was just blushing. I smiled.

"Well, what?"

"Please don't make me say it." I kept my mock idiocy up. I shrugged. He shifted uncomfortably. "We can't tell Jack that we've had sex." I laughed.

"Of course not." I went to receive my first kiss of the morning. I stood up, continuing the kiss. I wanted to push him back on the bed. But the security door opened up. I covered my eyes at the bright lights.

"Grabbed the brunette." I pulled Mitch behind me. The men began to walk forward.

"Stay away from him." I growled. My protective nature kicked in. I was going to protect Mitch with everything I had in me. I had to stop the man coming forward. I lunged at him. I was mimicking their thoughts now. My teeth sunk into the man's shoulder. I quickly pulled away. I didn't like the taste that was on my tongue. God, that was awful. But for some reason, I wanted to do it again. I backed away from the man I just bit, wiping the blood from my mouth. He was holding his neck. He was yelling in pain.

"Scott! What the hell?!" Mitch backed away from me. My rage subsided when I looked at his frightened face. Mitch.... I went to reach forward but I saw the blood on my hands. I felt a gun at the back of my head. I was waiting for it to go off. Or I could fight back. I could feel the flesh again. I found myself gagging and my mouth watering. What the hell was wrong with me? I couldn't stop these conflicting feelings.

"Stop! Don't hurt the kids!" I heard Jack's voice. He ran passed me to Mitch. "Are you okay?" Mitch dismissed Jack. The gun was taken away from me. Avi came to check on me.

"Is any of this your blood?" I shook my head. I motioned towards the soldier that was getting medical attention. Kevin came to examine me.

"Did you bite him?" I could only nod, looking towards where Mitch was hugging Jack. He was looking at me. There was no look of disgust. He looked at me just like he looked at me last night. I wasn't a different person. I just surprised him. "How did it taste?"

"Gross. But oddly good." I turned my attention back to the doctor. "Who are these people?" Jack walked over with Mitch. Our small group was in a circle.

"This is the CDC. This is what we came for." I looked back at the soldiers who were uneasily looking back at me. They weren't happy that I was still alive.

"But how?" 

"We do a routine sweep to kill any of the creatures that may wonder in to popular places and we pick up humans." A woman walked in. She was short, her curly blonde hair bouncing with every step. Her heels clicked on the ground until they came to a halt in front of us. She adjusted her glasses on her face. "And this instances, we found ourselves a cure. Along with a zombie-human hybrid. Fascinating." She tried to touch my cheek. I flinched away.

"Who are you?" Mitch asked.

"Oh, excuse me. I'm Kirstie, head of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. But I believe you call it the CDC." I looked over this woman. She was the brains that were going to go behind the creation of the cure. She walked over to Mitch and grabbed his face. "You must be the walking cure itself. Let me s-" I stepped between her and Mitch. She laughed excitedly. "Oh! Red eyes. Goes well with the blood."

"Stay away." My voice was low. She frowned.

"I'm not going to hurt him. Or is that just your protectiveness kicking in? Is maybe because your bond is strong since you two had sex?" Mitch made this little squeal. I narrowed my eyes at Kirstie.

"I didn't need to know that!" Jack groaned in frustration.

"Now, can we bring your group back for a nice meal?" We were escorted into these big military trucks. Mitch was avoiding Jack so he sat next to Avi and Kevin. Kirstie kept talking to us but I wasn't buying this bullshit. She wasn't going to fool me with this nice charade. But when we got there, it continued. It continued for a month. They didn't run any tests on us right away. They fed us, clothed us, kept their mouths shut when Mitch or I snuck in each other's room. It was paradise.

But even sometimes, paradise has some rough waters.