Chapter 02

{New}

~three years later~

Whatever Mr. A's lecturing about is fading in New's ears as he taps his pencil against his notebook and watches the clock. He's very much ready for the school day to end, just like he is every day. He hadn't listened when people told him going to school would start seeming less important once he got into his senior year. He only has to get through a few more months, and then he's out of here.

He gathers his textbooks in his arms once the bell rings, and lets out a yawn into his fist as he starts towards the hall where his locker is. The school is enormous, so it's definitely a long walk, but New's just grateful his locker is close to the exit doors.

"You seem tired," he hears someone say to his right as he's stuffing books in his locker. A grin creeps on his lips at the familiarity of the voice. He turns his head to Off, offering the boy a smile.

"I am tired," New replies, shutting his locker. "I don't know if I can do eight more months of this, let alone one."

He leans his back against his locker and crosses his arms as he watches Off fix his hair. All of Off's movements are always so gentle and precise, as though it's impossible for him to ever appear clumsy or disheveled. New doesn't know how he managed to become friends with someone as confident and charming as him, but he's glad he did. When New doesn't feel like making human contact with anyone, he'll always have a soft spot for Off.

"Just think of knowledge as a treasure, and not a chore," Off replies, grinning lopsidedly at New.

New rolls his eyes at this poetic dude standing in front of him. Why does New love him so much?

What Off's wearing is the foundation on which he bases all of his outfits; a soft black t-shirt paired with gray joggers. He always talks about how he prefers to dress comfortably over all else, which is almost similar to New. The difference between them is Off wouldn't sacrifice just a little comfort in order to catch some hot guy's attention.

"Whatever, Jumpol," New replies with a shake of his head.

"And, uh..." Off starts, stretching out the hem of his shirt as something beyond New's head catches his eye. He completely disregards whatever he was going to say, instead looking down at his feet and pointing over his shoulder. "Tay's coming, so I'm gonna go."

New rolls his eyes again, and this time it's an actual eye roll that doesn't have any endearment behind it. He doesn't even get to utter a "bye" before Off is gone, taking slow casual strides as he makes way for his own locker.

New lets out a shallow sigh. He pushes his back up from the locker just as Tay approaches him, opening his arms wide for a hug. A grin immediately spreads across his face from the comforting feeling of getting to rub his cheek against Tay's shoulder. The cotton material of his warm-up jacket is extremely soothing. He closes his eyes as he feels Tay's fingers gently card through his hair.

"I've missed you," Tay murmurs into his skin.

New faintly traces his fingers along the back of Tay's neck, watching as the goose bumps slowly appear.

"You've seen me twice today," New giggles, pulling back and joining his hands behind Tay's neck.

Tay presses his forehead against New's as his hands slide down to his waist, barely gripping at the material of his t-shirt. His smile widen as he sets his eyes on New's lips. "Every moment away from you feels like a lifetime."

New shakes his head as he settles his chin back on Tay's shoulder. "Stop it."

"I'm serious," Tay replies with a giggle, moving so they can press their foreheads together again. "I'm overall better when you're around."