Chapter 16*

{New}

Somehow, through some perplexing shift in the universe's natural way of things, New finds himself outside of the bowling alley the next night, which is odd, because he's never liked bowling, and he also didn't even want to come.

In fact, he probably wouldn't have ever come if Off hadn't texted him and asked if he was going, because Gun had apparently invited him too. New had responded with a simple "no" at first, and then Off told New he would go if New went, and somehow that gave New the push to actually get off of his disgusting bed and go. Off could truly turn any bad experience into an enjoyable one, so New figured he'd have a good time.

The first pair of eyes he's met with once he's got his tight bowling shoes on and is finally making his way over to Gun and his friends New has never spoken to, are Off's. The boy immediately brightens at the fact that New is there, because he was probably starting to grow worried that he wouldn't even show up.

Before New can even reach Off, he's intercepted by Gun and two of his friends, who immediately greet him and assure him that everything's going to be okay, as if they automatically could sense the depressing breakup aura New had dragged into the room.

He sits next to Off on one of the benches as they watch the boys roll the bowling balls down the alleys.

"Thought you wouldn't come," Off says quietly, a grin on his face.

"You know me. Always late," New replies with a giggle as he touches his knee to Off's.

Off reaches out a hand to touch at the blue and purple windbreaker New's got on. "I like this. It matches the ambience of this place."

"You mean the dark blue, red, and green lights that make it extremely hard to see anything in here? I love that," New says sarcastically, causing Off to laugh and shove him lightly.

"I think it's cool, seeing your face in green lighting," Off replies.

"My face looks cool in any lighting, thank you very much."

"You're not wrong," Off agrees, reaching out and pinching New's cheek, causing him to playfully push him away.

New faces toward the alleys again. "So how does this work? Do I just pick up a ball and throw it toward the pins or something?"

"You mean roll it."

"You know what I meant!"

"You go after Krist," Off says, setting his hand on New's knee. "I can help you if you want. I actually know how to do this."

Off keeps his word when New finally gets up for his turn, and he guides him on which fingers he's supposed to put in the hole of the bowling ball, as well as where he's supposed to stand.

New giggles when the heaviness of the bowling ball nearly sends him to the ground. "This is impossible. If I'm not even strong enough to hold it, where am I supposed to get the energy to roll it?"

Off laughs shyly as he touches New's shoulders and guides him exactly to where he needs to be stood. "It's all about what position you're in," he says, moving New's shoulders in order to lean him forward a bit. New keeps his eyes glued to the eight pins at the end of the alley, wondering how exactly he's going to manage to knock them all over in one go.

"You wanna square your hips, like this," New hears Off say, before he feels gentle hands on his hips, guiding him into position. The contact slips New out of his concentrated state for a moment, and he glances down at where Off's fingers are faintly rested on his hips.

"I usually take three or four steps before I release the ball," Off continues, and New notices that he's gotten noticeably quieter, but it's only because he's so close to New that he doesn't have to project his voice. "It's sort of like starting position when someone's running track."