Chapter 23

{Jumpol}

Off spots him just as he's closing his own locker, and he doesn't waste any time before making his way over. He even skips a little before he catches himself, remembering that this isn't some cheesy romantic film he's living in.

He still wants to skip, however, because his world is just so bright and full of rainbows and sunshine now that New is letting himself enjoy having Off. These days Off can't even think of a reason not to be happy when he has so many things going for him.

He'd nailed all of his exams with some of the highest grades the teachers have ever seen, the school year's almost over and soon he'll be graduating, and New's finally giving him a chance.

He holds the books that were tucked under his arm out to New once he approaches him. "You left these at my house the other day," he says, grinning.

New grins back at him as he takes his belongings from Off. "Thank you," he replies, seeming just a little shy.

Off's taking note of the fact that something's off about New when his eyes fall upon the clear hickey at the bottom of the boy's neck. Off immediately points at his own neck, hoping New will get the hint. New does, and he quickly blushes before zipping up his pullover all the way to his chin. He giggles bashfully as he looks down at his feet. Off is incredibly endeared.

Off can't help reaching out a finger to poke at the tip of New's nose where his skin bears a hint of scarlet, probably from just having gotten inside from the cold.

Everything about this boy standing in front of Off just takes his breath away. That sounds impossible, but somehow, it's true. There's nothing New can do that wouldn't make Off's insides flutter with adoration. That's just how amazing he is, and Off feels like no matter how much he's told him---or will tell him---he'll never fully understand. Still, Off fully plans to dedicate the rest of his time on earth to helping New realize how truly stunning he is as a person, inside and out.

"So are you still coming during free period?" Off asks, scratching behind his ear.

"To work on that poster you were talking about?" New asks. "Of course."

"Okay, I'll...see you later," he replies, knowing this would be a perfect time for a warm hug, but instead opting for a gentle pat to his shoulder.

It's gone unspoken, but they both know it's for the best that they keep this thing between them private. There's already enough useless gossip circulating the halls of the school daily, and the last thing Off needs is for his name to become a part of it. He also considers the feelings of New, because the boy probably doesn't want people judging him because of what he's done---which, Off might add, is nothing. New has done nothing wrong, but for now, Off will comply with his silent wishes and keep everything between the both of them.

Off's about ten feet away from entering his first class of the day when he catches sight of Tay, walking in the opposite direction of him. He waits for the usual look he's been getting from Tay these days, which varies from time to time, and sure enough, he gets it when Tay narrows his eyes briefly in the boy's direction. It's laughable to him, how Tay isn't even trying to disguise his distaste for Off anymore. He guesses the only thing that kept him from openly hating Off was the fact that he was dating New, so now that that's gone for good, he has all the time in the world to roll his eyes at Off as much as he pleases. Off can live with that, honestly, because at the end of the day, he gets to kiss the most delightful boy in the world in complete privacy.

There's no way Tay could know what's going on between them, however. They both don't speak to many people anyway, let alone allow others to know what's going on in their lives sexually, so Off knows that can't be the reason for Tay suddenly being so nasty towards him. It has to be something else---probably the realization that he doesn't like himself, or the fact that he let go of the one redeeming quality about him, or he's simply intimidated by Off. No matter what it is, as long as he isn't stepping right up to Off and spitting in his face, Off won't spare him any attention.