Ch 18

Not edited.

Donna looked at her solicitor Barry and her decision was made. It was something she knew she had to do. Putting it off wouldn't change the fact that it had to be done.

"I'll do it."

"Are you sure Ms George?" The clerk sitting across from them asked with a concerned tone.

Donna exhaled loudly.

"Not really but I don't have a choice. We need to discuss our son."

"Will you take him with you?" her solicitor asked quickly.

"No" she replied with a shake of her head "not to deliver the papers. I haven't seen him for a year and..."

Her voice trailed off and the two men both nodded sympathetically.

"Well I think it's admirable that you're thinking of your son. You'd be surprised how many people I see who use their children like pawns in a chess game."

"I don't want that."

"Alot of people don't think like you do Donna" her solicitor was talking now "I have people, both men and women, who come to me and play ridiculous games of if you do with their children being the ones to suffer. I just hope that Trey feels the same way that you do."

Donna blew out a breath as she took in Barry's words. She honestly had no idea what Trey was going to say. Would be be willing to compromise for Brenton's sake? Or would he become a parent like those just mentioned?

The uncertainty scared her. Not for herself but for her son. The thought of Brenton growing up miserable had her heart aching.

"I don't know. I don't know what he'll be like" the quaver in her voice had the two gentlemen looking at her sympathetically.

"Well, let's not jump to any conclusions just yet. He might be completely amicable. I would advise you Ms George that if you're sure that you want to serve the papers on him yourself then you don't go alone. I realise that he's still in the rehabilition centre, however, it's been my experience that even the docile of divorcing partners can become violent. You need to protect yourself from any and all problems that may occur. A witness with the ability to help if needed is exactly what you need. Do you have any ine you can call?"

Seth. The first name that came to mind but he had Brenton because her parents weren't able. Her brother? No, he had a job on the other side of the city.

She shook her head.

"Well then Donna" Barry grinned "looks like you're stuck with me."

"Oh I couldn't..."

"You can and you will. If you don't agree then I'll instruct the clerk to have the sherrif deliver the papers. My clients welfares are paramount to the way I do things. So consider this a settled subject."

Donna felt steam rolled. Yes, she understood Barry's fears however...

"Donna please just take a moment to think about this. You haven't seen Trey in a year right?"

She nodded.

"So it stands to reason that the meeting will be an emotional one. Do you agree?"

"Possibly" she said slowly.

"Well there's your answer. An emotional meeting makes you vulnerable and while we both know you're more than capable of taking care of yourself there's still the possibility that you may let your guard down. That isn't a good thing. It makes you suseptible to agreeing with things you wouldn't normally agree to."

"Listen to Barry, Ms George. We've both been in this business for a long time. You need to watch out for yourself. Cover yourself so to speak." The clerk tried reasoning with her as well. Both men worried for the safety of the young woman before them.

Donna exhaled loudly and ran her hands over her hair. Her mind went crazy with the possibilities she may be faced with. Once she would have said that Trey wouldn't ever hurt her in a million years... but now?

Now she had to admit she had no idea who the real Trey Holden actually was. A year ago she would have sworn he'd never cheat on her... but he did. She would have sworn that he was as committed to their marriage as much as she was... but he wasn't.

"OK then" she agreed "but I want to do this today. It needs to be done and the longer..."

"That's fine. I'll call my secretary and have her reschedule whatever needs isn't urgent. I know I have a couple of hours at least."  Barry's voice was full of the relief that showed on his face.

"OK. Let's do this then."

The pair got up from the desk, shook hands with the clerk and left the office.

"Well how about a coffee and some lunch first?" Barry suggested gently.

"No I..."

"You need some time to regroup Donna. I can see by the way your knuckles turning white that you need a few minutes to digest what's about to happen. We'll just stop here at the cafe on the ground floor and then head off. OK?"

She didn't think she'd be able to eat but the thought of coffee was calling her and she nodded.

"Ok. Coffee then."

Barry grinned.

*******

What do you think of Barry? Another motive for his concern maybe?