The ice dragon

"Ultear." Said Ur as she sat next to her young daughter who was asleep with a fever. Yuki sat opposite her now at the age of six. Over the last year Ur had taught her a lot of ice make magic. Yuki loved it, she thought it was beautiful. Her and Ultear had become good friends but something was very wrong with her. She had a fever almost ever day and she was really weak.

"Ur, what is happening to Ultear?" She asked. Ur looked up at the small child she had found on the streets. Over the year Ur had begun to see her as a second daughter.

"She has too much magic power and it is killing her. I have been thinking that I will take her to the doctors. It is high in the mountain but they will be able to make her better, but it means that you will have to train by yourself again today. I'm sorry."

"No it's fine. I understand, I will be back before it gets dark." Said Yuki standing up and walking out of the house. She wore simple jeans and a t-shirt and walked through the streets and up into the snowy mountains. Yuki climbed to the highest peak and only when she was there did she strip down to her underwear. This was part of Ur's training, to become one with the cold you must train in the bare minimum. At first Yuki was uncomfortable with taking her clothes off in front of Ur but soon she became used to it. She found that she liked the feeling of the cold against her bare skin, this was why Yuki never wore shoes when she could help it. She hated them, they were too restricting for her, she preferred to have no shoes on at all. Yuki took her stance and began moving her way Ur had taught her.

"Ice make hammer." She shouted as a massive ice hammer appeared in the sky. She watched as it crashed into the ground, she waved her hand and it disappeared.

"Ice make eagle." She shouted again but this time a thousand eagles erupted from her outspread arms and flew into the distance. Yuki looked around her and thought. She couldn't decide which type she liked more. Static ice make, the one that creates things from inanimate object, of dynamic ice make the kind that makes things from animals. Dynamic ice make was a lot faster but static ice make would be more useful in the long run. Yuki heard what sounded like a flapping of wings and then a loud thud must behind a large bolder. She stood up, she couldn't what or who is was but they were clearly very big. Yuki placed herself in her battle stance, put her hands together the way Ur taught her and waited for the thing to come out.

"There is no need for that child. I will not hurt you. Tell me your name child."

"Yuki."

"Well then Yuki come closer." The voice was one of a woman but something about it didn't quite seem human. Yuki stayed exactly where she was, she knew better than to trust a face she couldn't see. The woman's voice laughed lightly.

"You really are very smart for a 6 year old. Very well then I will come to you if you promise not to freak out."

"I-I promise." Yuki stuttered feeling a little nervous at the woman's forwardness. There was some more loud thudding and very slowly the woman came into view, only she wasn't a woman she was a dragon. She was huge and a light blue colour. Her eyes were a solid blue and on the end of her large blue wings there was what looked like ice. Yuki stared but she didn't move, she didn't run away.

"That's a rather strange reaction to have. So what do you think?"

"Your a...your a dragon."

"Yes an ice dragon to be precise. I'm Hikari the queen of the ice dragons."

"May I ask why someone so important is stood before me?"

"You may, I am here to take you away. I have been watching you for a while now. Do you have any idea how much magic energy you posses? You have the potential to become a dragon slayer."

"What's that?"

"A dragon slayer is something very ancient. It is the power used many years ago to slay dragons themselves. It is now a lost art and becoming very rare, it is magic that can only be taught by a dragon. There are many types of dragon slayer just like there are many different types of dragon. As I am an ice dragon I can only teach you ice dragon slayer magic. I am aware that you have become very fond of ice and the cold, am I right?"

"Yes you are but I don't quiet understand how it is different to ice make magic."

"This magic gives you the properties of a dragon. Depending on the user it can be much more powerful than ice make magic. Let me show you." Yuki's mind travelled back to the first time she met Ur, she had said the exact same thing. The dragon lifted up her head to the sky, took a deep breath and released a massive storm of snow and ice from her mouth. Yuki watched in amazement, she knew that dragons were rare and very powerful but she never expected them to be this powerful. The dragon finished and looked back at the child before her.

"That same power could be yours. I can teach you how to use this and much more."

"But my teacher Ur and Ultear, they are like family to me."

"I understand that but do you not think that your teacher has enough on her mind, trying to save her sick child?"

"You think I might have outstayed my welcome?"

"That is up to you to decide Yuki, go home and talk to her. Come back here the same time tomorrow and tell me your decision..."