Chapter 9: Two Letters

My fading dreams clung to my thoughts as I slipped away from them the next morning, leaving me feeling dreamy and content. I rolled out of bed with a smile on my face, as big as a Quidditch field. I grabbed my rose colored glasses from my bedside table and slipped them onto the bridge of my nose. The oversized lenses covered half of my face, and I surveyed the room as my sudden visibility was regained. A paper lay on the floor near my slippers, seeming out of place. I bent down to pick it up off of the floor and place it in my bag, when I realized in a quick glance, that the handwriting was familiar, but not my own.

Joy sent a tingling sensation through my body, waking me up completely. I eagerly opened the note with my fingers shaking from excitement.

"Your boyish hair and big blue eyes are unique in every possible way. Every feature that has the privilege to reside on you enchants me for eternity," I whispered to myself, reading the letter aloud.

I fell back onto my four poster bed, sighing with a feeling I was not too familiar with.

Apparently my sigh was louder than I had thought, and Ginny and Hermione had heard it, rushing to my side.

"I know a love sick sigh a mile away," Ginny exclaimed triumphantly. Hermione yawned, looking annoyed that she was woken up.

The girls sat on my bed and began to prod me with questions about boys who could possibly be sending the letters. Their inquires were interrupted by my owl, Crystal, pecking at the window for me to let her in.

I gratefully accepted her interference, and latched the window, admitting her into the room with a purple letter in her beak. She fluttered proudly down onto the edge of my bed, happy that she had made a delivery. I patted her head, and she cooed lovingly, flying out the window to return to the owlery.

The purple letter brought a twinge of homesickness to my stomach. Hermione patted my shoulder and I looked up at my consoling friend.

"Is it your mom?" She asked.

"Yeah."

A few moments of silence passed as I fumbled with the ribbon that sealed the purple letter.

Finally I opened the letter, and read the exciting news. I grinned and cheered.

"Read it to us, Rose!" Ginny begged.

I sat up so straight on my bed that my back hurt and I fluttered my eyelashes a few times as I fake-coughed, "Hem hem."

"What are you doing?" Hermione laughed.

"Impersonating my mother," I explained, keeping my face straight and my voice proper.

Ginny and Hermione burst into laughter.

"Darling Rosalind,
I am sure your friends are just charming," I said, elongating the word charming.
"Although I know you trust them, meeting their mother would be a treat, and very necessary. I will meet you at Kings Cross, and I hope to see your friends. Enjoy the train ride tomorrow, my bird.
Love,
Mum," I finished, relaxing my body.

Hermione and Ginny applauded and Ginny nearly fell off of the bed with laughter racking her body. Hermione was silently gasping for air. I bowed.

"Thank you, thank you very much. I'm here all night."