Chapter 13: What Just Happened

Fred's POV~ Tell me if I should incorporate his POV more... :-)

George sensed the awkward atmosphere and coughed loudly, "Gee Merlin, I may be getting a cold, lets go outside and get some fresh air."

Rose stood up quickly, and bolted out of the bedroom. I stared after her, her skirt swishing around her knees as she sprinted outside.

I was about to stand up to go, when George said, "Hold it there, Freddie boy."

"What is it?" I inquired, looking towards the backdoor longingly just in time to see Rose close it softly behind her.

"Rose."

"Oh." Darn, I don't want to talk about this...

"She obviously feels horrible for the person that is sending her the letters, because she likes someone. Fred, I know without a doubt you are the guy whose got her heart twisted in a knot."

"Wha- what do you mean?" I stuttered out. I never ever told George, let alone any living breathing organism that I was the guy sending Rose the letters. They could tell her!

"Fred, you have a really sucky poker face. And that takes a lot for me to say to you since I must have a bad one too, as we practically share the same features and all. You get all excited when she opens the letters, you look like a ten year old girl who just received a pygmy puff!"

Am I really that bad at hiding my emotions? Darn, now I can never be mysterious...

George continued, "But that's okay, because I think the guy she likes is y-"

I cut George off before he could finish, "It doesn't matter who she likes, because it's not me. I'll see you outside."

My heart fell, and I could almost physically feel a thump in my left foot from where my heart crashed into little ceramic tiles of an organ, still trying to beat in it's broken state.

I walked through the house to the backdoor and George was on my heels until he reached the kitchen.

"Hey Fred, we still haven't cleaned our school cauldron from the last time we used it, correct?" George asked.

I turned in surprise at the odd question. "Well yes, why?"

"I'm going to mix up some lemonade, just thought I'd clean it while I was actually doing something in the kitchen other than burning it down."

I chuckled lightly at his comparison.

"Okay Georgie boy. See you out by the tree in the back."

I swung open the back door and saw Rose attempting to climb the tree. Her petite body was nothing compared to the size of the trunk, and she looked so cute in her little red sweater and black skirt, I laughed quietly to myself.

I walked over to the struggling Rose, and put my hands on her little waist, helping her up.

"Thanks F-Fred," she stuttered. I wondered why her voice caught, and realized that when helping her up, I had touched skin, not sweater. Her sweater was up slightly from reaching the branch and I had unconsciously touched her bare skin.

Oh Merlin. This girl will be the death of me.

I'm pretty sure I blushed like those ugly maroon sweaters Mum gives Ron every Christmas.

So I played it cool like I didn't even register the fact that I was holding her tiny little waist.

Oh Merlin's flipping beard on a stick her skin is soft.

Focus Fred.

I lifted Rose into the tree and she climbed onto another branch that was more in her reach. She hoisted herself up and sat on a branch above my head.