Chapter 14: That "Oh" Moment

Fred's POV

I lay stunned at little Rose lying in my lap. What in the magical world just happened?

Confused and a bit dazed, I put my arms underneath Rose's body and carried her into the Burrow where George was sitting calmly on the couch.

"Back from Diagon Alley, George!?" I roared.

He looked up from his seat and grinned mischievously at me, but when he saw Rose, his face fell.

"Oi, what did you do to her?" I asked, malice dripping in my tone. I returned my gaze to my friend. She looked so fragile.

"We need to lay her down, or something... George, I'm so puzzled," the helplessness in my voice leaked out near the end, and my arms dropped forward, presenting the unconscious Rose to my brother.

I felt more tears rushing on, but this wasn't the time to be a baby.

Man up, Fred.

My twin stood up and walked over to our room his line of sight glued to the floor. I followed him inside, and he shut the door behind us.

I laid Rose down on my bed gently, her chest rising and falling softly. I sat down at the head of the bed and placed her head on my lap.

George sat down on his bed, perched like a bird ready to take flight any second. He had a nervous expression that flashed quickly on his face.

"Explain," I whispered to George. "Why did she act like that? It hurt, George, a lot."

I stroked Rose's hair lovingly and looked over at my guilty twin.

"Er... Well, remember how I said I was going to clean our cauldron?"

I nodded in response.

"Well, er, do you remember the last potion you brewed in it? It was the love potion... and I know you really like Rose, so I... eh... Iputyourlovepotioninherlemonadesoshewouldcometotermswithherfeelingsforyou."

"You WHAT?"

"I put your love potion in her lemonade so she would come to terms with her feelings for you."

"What if she doesn't like me at all, George? She could be totally grossed out right now!"

I looked down at Rose in my lap. My feelings for her have grown so much that when I look at her I am not only mentally, but also physically in pain from my aching heart.

I don't deserve her. And besides, she likes someone, and it probably isn't me.

George walked out of our bedroom with his shoulders hunched and his head low.

Good, he should feel guilty for making me feel this way.

I adjusted my position on my bed so that I was lying next to Rose, her back to me.

Her head fell back softly against my chest and I left it there. I wrapped my arms around her waist and waited for her to wake up, crying softly into my pillow.

ROSE

Cinnamon. I dreamt of the smell of cinnamon and a fiery red haired boy. I felt so guilty about the secret admirer letters. Fred was my first crush ever since first year, and this admirer really couldn't have worse timing as I was just getting closer to him.

I've never broken a heart before.

I hope I never do.

My eyelids fluttered open, and I tried to think back to why I was just unconscious. It hurt my head to think about it, so I left it alone for now.

My attention then turned to the sunlight dying in the window, it was almost dark, probably around dinner time.

I was leaning against something warm, maybe an enchanted blanket to keep me warm? Iris had one of those. I turned slightly to see what it was, but that 'it' soon turned to a 'who'.

I had turned to see Fred behind me, his face peaceful and adorable as always. His mouth was slightly open, his lips perfect and so close.

Many people couldn't tell the difference between the twins, but to me it wasn't as hard when you paid attention to detail.

Fred's nose was slightly broken from a bludger mishap on the Quidditch field that had never fully healed properly. I had witnessed it on one of the practices that I came out to watch and doodle. It's really calming.

I giggled slightly when I remembered Fred falling from his broom from the impact of the bludger, hurtling towards the ground with breakneck speed.

Fred also had a thinner face, and a little flip in his hair, like a cowlick, in the front. It was really adorable, the way he always tried to comb it down but that just made it worse.

I turned my entire body around so that we were face to face.

Fred's mannerisms were also slightly different. His movements were smoother and almost somewhat graceful, while George's were sharp and abrupt. I was just clumsy, falling over my own two feet constantly and my glasses didn't help the whole 'I'm a dork' picture very much.

I sighed.

If only Fred knew how much I loved him, and if only he liked me back.

I then finally realized that his arms were around my waist and I blushed like I had a horrible sunburn. I was thankful that he couldn't see my tomato face right now.

My thankfulness didn't last long however, and his eyes opened, his light, long eyelashes fluttering slightly to reveal his beautiful amber-emerald eyes.

I looked into his sleepy eyes and the events of today came flooding into my head, like the dam that had been blocking it earlier had snapped, and it all came rushing in.

I blushed yet again at my actions that I had committed earlier today and jumped out of Fred's bed and out the door, leaving him confused and cold from the lack of body heat.

I ran to the tree out back and climbed as far up as I could go, tears staining my cheeks as my hands gripped the rough bark.

The hurt in his eyes would haunt me forever.

I made Fred Weasley cry.

I put my head in my hands and let the sobs over take me.

I just hurt one of my best friends, and the only person who holds my heart in his beautiful hands.

I don't deserve him.