Chapter 29: You've Got To Be Kidding Me

"Start the New Year? With you?" I asked, my voice quiet.

"How would you like to be my date to the ball?" Fred clarified, a lopsided grin smacked onto his lovely features.

"Well I guess if I have to."

That night we had lain in the wet grass for hours, talking about anything that came to mind, until the moon was the only light shining onto the courtyard. The lights from the castle had all been extinguished, and our eyes were heavy with the need to sleep.

We returned to the Gryffindor Common Room, and hugged each other before heading up the different staircases to our dorms. I flopped down on top of my comforter, and felt a rustle beneath my stomach.

I hoped and prayed I hadn't just wrinkled my Potions paper.

Sighing, I rolled over and snatched the paper from under my belly. It was in an envelope, rushed handwriting scrawled across it: "To Rose Stricker, the amazing one and only."

I smiled goofily, and pulled my wand from my cloak pocket.

"Lumos," I whispered, my voice slightly dry from all the talking I had done tonight.

I fumbled with the envelope, and eventually opened the letter.

"Your smile shines like the sun,
Your eyes hold power like crashing waves,
And your personality warm like afternoon tea.

I hope I'm getting better, because you deserve the best.

Love,
Secret Admirer"

I hoped this secret guy didn't show up to the dance tomorrow, he'd be devastated to see I already have a date. My heart sunk with guilt. These letters were wonderful, but I felt horrible not knowing who it was, and possibly hurting their poor little heart by going to the dance with Fred.

I sighed, and fell asleep quickly.

The next day passed way too fast for my liking. The ball was nearing closer, and I was in bed, reading a book, hoping that as I got lost in this fictional world of galaxy travelers and alien princes, that time around me would pass and I wouldn't have to attend the ball. I felt sick with nerves.

Iris skipped around our dorm in her beautiful dress.

That she was wearing to the ball.

In less than two hours.

I should really start getting ready.

She looked so elated, her cheeks pink, and her white-blonde bob bouncing as she went around the room.

"Oh I'm so excited! I can't believe I have a date, with Lee, to the New Years Ball!"

She spun in circles and laughed as Ginny chased her with a makeup bag, begging Iris to let her do her makeup.

I groaned. Those two were making it extremely hard to procrastinate properly. I rolled off of my comfortable bed, and decided that I might as well get ready for the big occasion.

I threw on my dress, brushed it off, and took a look at myself in the bathroom mirror.

The pastel periwinkle dress stopped at my knees, a very flattering cut, if I do say so myself. The dress opened a bit in the back revealing my shoulder blades and mid-back. There were also two fluttering sleeves around my shoulders, the light fabric tickling my skin. I felt beautiful.

I turned to see Ginny, Hermione, and Iris already changed into their dresses as well, twirling their skirts, and fixing their hair.

Ginny's golden dress shimmered in the light from the window, her figure accentuated by the tight fit around her waist, and the shining half-cut sleeves that fit her like a glove. Her hair was pulled back into a beautiful bun, and she had golden earrings hanging down to her exposed neck.

Iris had a long, dark blue dress with a band of jewels around her waist, a v-cut down to mid-back, and a strapless heart neckline framing her small shoulders. Her hair was straightened, adding length and somehow sophistication to her look.

Hermione surprised us all with a deep green dress that flowed around her body from a flattering empire waist with a sash. She looked stunning, her frizzy hair tamed into beautiful curls, and pink eyeshadow that brightened up her eyes.

"You girls look amazing," I said, smiling a mile wide.

"So do you, Rose. However... I think some makeup and hair transformation is in order."

I grimaced and said quietly, "I guess it wouldn't hurt to wear something more than mascara..."

Ginny yelped in glee, and dragged me to a chair.

"Let's do this!" Iris said cheerfully.

I groaned. I am so very excited for this.

My eyes looked amazing by the time Ginny was done with me. They were more blue than they ever have been in my entire life, they were electric.

"Its a shame I have to cover up your talent with my glasses," I said sadly, pushing them up on my nose as they slipped off yet again.

"OH MERLIN WE HAVE TO GO!" Iris yelled, jumping up and down and grabbing Hermione's dress front in excitement.

She rushed out of the room and down the stairs yelling, "IT'S TIME!"

I followed the girls out to the Common Room and the voices became louder as I descended the stairs.

I stopped at the 3rd landing from the bottom, my stomach in my throat. I was so nervous, my palms sweating and my body shaking. I can do this. I can do this. I can do this.

A few girls passed me on their way down to the Common Room, and I moved closer to the wall to stay out of their way.

I thought immediately of the last note Ginny and George had made in the Operation Frose notebook: Be Confident.

I raised my chin and walked down the rest of the stairs to see a few lingering couples making out before the dance, and other girls and boys just talking before the dancing began.

I spotted Fred at the fireplace, his arms crossed and his eyes to the floor.

As I stepped down a few more stairs, I got closer to the Common Room, and gulped.

He looked up and locked eyes with me, they widened in shock, and he smiled bigger than ever before. He began to walk towards me with his hand out for me to take, and I planned to meet him halfway across the floor.

Well, I planned to.

My feet tripped over one another, and in no time I was crashing down the stairs into his waiting arms at the bottom.

Fred laughed lightly and pulled me up.

"That was amazing, Rose. Bravo."

"Oh shut up! Nobody's perfect."

"I'll say!"

"This is off to an amazing start!"

"Definitely."

Fred reached down and took my hand, holding it all the way to the ballroom.

Needless to say, my face was red the entire way.