Chapter 27: Musical Mishaps

The next morning, light came rushing through the windows of the Gryffindor dorms, and poked relentlessly at my eyelids. I shoved my glasses onto my face, and blinked open my eyes and yawned.

Just as I was in the process of waking, my alarm clock rang out in the small room, and woke up the other girls. Iris jumped out of bed and rushed to the bathrooms to shower, Hermione began to dress, and Ginny slowly crawled around in her sheets for about five minutes before actually making an effort to get ready.

We made it down to breakfast (my ankle was finally healed), and blindly and groggily picked at our food.

I watched Fred, George, and Lee across from me, they were usually laughing and joking, but this morning it seemed they were on the verge of falling back asleep.

Classes went by in a blur: McGonnagal scolded, Lee blew up a toad in Flitwick's class ("accidentally!" He says), and Snape's lessons dragged by impossibly slow like his voice.

Finally after twenty extra minutes in the slime ball's dungeons, I was free!  I rushed to the common room, my bag slamming against my hip with every step.

"Oh Merlin I thought that class would never end!" I exclaimed as I crash-landed on the sofa next to George and Ron.

"Snape is a git for keeping us that long just because Harry talked back," Ron said.

"Well Harry and his mouth of sass landed him in detention as well," George chimed in.

"They should call him 'The Boy Who Sassed," Fred added as he waltzed into the Common Room.

He grabbed my wrist and leaned in close to my ear, "Follow me for just a bit, I have a question to ask."

I jumped up off the sofa and ignored the confused calls of Fred's brothers. Whatever this was it better be important, I was quite comfortable on that couch.

Fred lead me to the lake outside, and sat down by the edge. He looked up at me, his eyes sparkling.

"Hey Rose? Before I ask anything, you have to promise you will take me seriously and not tell anyone what I'm asking, alright?"

I was taken aback a bit by his sudden seriousness.

"Of course."

I sat down next to him.

"So... This ball that's approaching... I need to know how to ask a girl I like. I need to impress her first before I just come out and ask... Would you mind giving me some tips?"

My stomach flipped into a bundle of knots, and my voice caught in my throat.

"U-um, sure," I replied lamely.

"For starters, what does this girl like? What is her personality like?" I asked, attempting to get a base I could work off of.

"Well, she is very funny in a clumsy sort of way, very sweet, sometimes a bit sarcastic... She likes to learn a lot, and I know she loves to laugh. I don't really know what she likes exactly, maybe you could give me some ideas?"

"Well, I mean I know that every girl loves flowers and super cheesy romantic gestures and stuff..."

Fred interrupted me quickly, "I don't think she'd appreciate the flowers and cheesy sayings... She's so...different than anyone else I've ever met, and she deserves something that reflects how original she is."