The hospital

Sherlock's POV

I may have been unconscious and under some heavy anaesthetic, but all the way to the hospital I could hear John and Mycroft talking. I couldn't believe that Mycroft was happy for me and John; like, what happened to "caring is not an advantage?" I also heard John crying for me. If only I could tell him that I refuse to die, just so he'd be ok. I knew I'd be going in to surgery and I knew the standard procedures, ow they'd get the bullet out and whatnot. 

While I could hear everything, I couldn't get up and I couldn't speak. So I lay there as they wheeled me to the surgery and prepared me for the knife. 

John's POV

Greg was in the waiting room  just like he said, and he opened his arms as soon as he saw me and Mycroft enter the hospital. I watched as Mycroft sank into Greg's arms and I wished for Sherlock to be ok, so he could fall into my arms again. After a minute or two of consoling the British Government, Greg turned to me and said "I'm going to need a witness statement John, but that can wait till next week."

"Thanks Greg."

"Mary's locked up in the cells, and I can personally assure you she will not be getting out, but I'll need the help of a certain government official-"

"Don't you worry Gregory," Mycroft interrupted, "there's no way I'm letting her off after what she's done to my baby brother. Sherlock may be an infuriating asshole at times, but he said nothing to make her turn a gun on him, John's the only one that spoke to her."

"What I want to know is how she got the gun in the first place. Mycroft, care to explain?"

He sighed deeply and glanced at Greg, "Well I suppose it's only fair I tell you. Mary is - was - an MI5  operative. But after a few years of solid performance, she decided to turn to private contractors; if you needed someone assassinated, you'd go to her. Unfortunately, her killings were sloppy at best - she left evidence, she killed extra people; sometimes she 'accidently' killed kids. However, Sherlock insisted I didn't tell you, because you were happy with her, and all he cared about was your happiness. He survived the 2 years of destroying Moriarty's network because I sent him photos of you happy, smiling. It's an added bonus that you never really loved Mary anyway."

"You should have heard him John." Greg spoke up, "As you went to talk to Mary he picked up the phone and called me. He sounded like he was using again, but when I asked he said, 'no Graham, John has finally told me that he loves me, and I have never felt happier. I think we're together now, he's just about to speak to her.' Now Sherlock may never have told you, but he hated Mary with a passion, he thought that she was some kind of minion to Moriarty, and he was right."

Both me and Mycroft turned to look at the grimacing detective inspector with confused faces, so he continued. "As I was locking her in a cell, she told me that she only went with John and shot Sherlock because Moriarty told her to. Somehow, that bastard survived the bullet that went through his brain, and is out in London, after Sherlock. Similarly to Magnussen, he thinks that he can hurt Sherlock by hurting John, and with Sherlock hurt but 'not critically' injured, he'd hurt John, which would in turn hurt Sherlock more than any bullet would. So what I'm saying is, do not give Moriarty the advantage of thinking that you are both hurting; be brave John, you need to do it for Sherlock."

"Are you sure she's telling the truth Gregory?" Mycroft offered up, his tone quiet yet firm, "How can you be certain she's not lying?"

"I can't, which is why I'm telling you. Last week, weren't you telling me about a new truth drug you're testing? Well, don't you need a guinea pig?"

"Well, yes, but we don't know if it'll harm her."

"And, she shot your brother and may be working for his worst enemy! I think she deserves every ounce of pain she gets before she rots in jail."

"I agree," I was surprised to hear how raspy my voice was, "After what she's done to my Sherlock, your brother and Greg's most valuable source and friend, I want her to be in pain. Just do it Mycroft, we'll do it the first weekend after Sherlock wakes up."

"If you insist, John."

Five minutes of silence later, a worried looking doctor entered the waiting room. We all jumped up and sprinted towards him.

"What is it? Is it about Sherlock?" I questioned, barely giving the poor man space to breathe.

"Y-yes, it is about Mr H-holmes."

"SPIT IT OUT!!" we all yelled.

"Alright! He's out of surgery, the bullets gone, he's awake. Whilst in surgery, he kept repeating three words."

"What words?" queried Greg.

"Live for John. I'm assuming that's one of you?" 

I was tearing up now. "That's me."

"You can go in now I you want."

Greg spoke first, "We will, thank you."

"OK, room 14."

________________________________________________

Authors note!

What do you guys think? Will Sherlock live? Or will he succumb to the pain of a gunshot wound and the news of Moriarty's survival? Who knows?

-Charlie