The Final Chapter

John's POV

As the years went by, I grew more and more thankful that I ended up with Sherlock Holmes. He'd given me love, hope, courage, a family, everything I could ever wish for. He was the light of my life, my rock, my everything. For the many years that followed our wedding, we continued to solve cases together... Stealing kisses in crime scene cupboards when Lestrade wasn't looking, chasing criminals through the alleyways of London and going undercover in top secret cases.

How I missed those days.

In our early 50's, we adopted more dogs. We discussed children but it didn't feel right with the life we lead.

In our late 50's, we bought a small retirement cottage in Yorkshire, which we used for what we called our "case base". It has beehives on site, which we apparently owned, plenty of space for dogs and it had many nature walks nearby.

In our late 60's, decided to ease up on the legwork and solve cases from 221B Baker Street.
All wasn't good though... Mrs Hudson developed a cardiac problem and tragically died of a heart attack. Sherlock was inconsolable. He cried for days, she was like a mother to him. She didn't leave us 222B Baker street; she knew it would be too painful for us to stay there without her. So after two years of renting an apartment in London, we retired to our cottage.

Lestrade still sent us cases, which we solved with ease.

In our early 70's, Sherlock developed a brain tumour. It was irremoveable and the radiotherapy wouldn't work. He had only a couple of years left to live.
I was his primary caregiver. I took him for long walks near our cottage, which he enjoyed thoroughly. His favourite spot was in a wildflower meadow attached to our property. We spent hours there someday, watching the butterflies and bees. Some days I almost forgot about the tumour destroying my husbands brain.

In our mid 70's, sherlock passed away peacefully in his sleep. The tumour had finished ravaging his incredible brain.  He could've lived so much longer.
We buried him in the wildflower meadow, near his beehives. I had a marble grave stone made, and I visited him everyday for a year.

End of John's POV

Sherlock

I am so, so thankful for all the time I've got to spend with you. You'll never know how lucky I felt for you, a handsome, loving genius to fall in love with a broken soldier like me.

Which is why you must forgive me for what I must do.

This last year has been so difficult without you sherlock, I've barely kept myself afloat. I miss your morning kisses. I miss your smart arse comments. I miss catching you stare at me from across the room. I miss your genuine smile. I miss your laugh. I miss it all. I visited your grave everyday, laid new flowers down. White roses... Your favourite.

Our very last dog, I gave to Mycroft, Lestrade and their children... I find myself unable to leave the cottage much anymore..

I miss you sherlock. I hope heaven exists so I can finally see you again and we can be together forever.

I'll love you now and for ever.

Till death do us part my love.

Forgive me,

With all my heart, John xx

That was the note Mycroft Holmes was reading over the body of his brothers husband. On the anniversary of Sherlock's death, John had found his own service gun, and shot himself to death, unable to bear life without his partner.

He found the note on the table next to the body. He also found a note from John, wishing to be buried next to sherlock, a request he could not refuse.

Because that's what people do, isn't it?

Leave a note?

*authors note*

I totally forgot to end this book!! I'm so sorry!!! I won't lie, part of this was an idea I got from reading other books, but I loved the format so I decided to try it.

I hope you all enjoyed this book, if you did please vote for it, or don't, it's my first book so I don't really mind.

See you all in my next book!!