Five

[RORY]

My fingers were flying across my laptop keyboard as I glanced at the clock to check on my progress. It was Friday afternoon and I had just under 200 words left to go on the article I'd been working on all week, hoping to get a complete draft to Marisol before I went home. I had just under 30 minutes.

Confident I could get it done, I continued nodding my head along to the song I was listening to. Unfortunately, life didn't want me to have a relaxing weekend - my desk phone lighting up with an incoming call from Marisol's assistant.

"Oh for fuck's sake," I exhaled quietly, ripping my headphones out and grabbing the phone. "Hey Stephanie."

"Can you come to her office?"

"Uh, yeah. Do you know what about?"

"Nope."

"Great."

It was a rarity that I was personally requested to her office, and unprecedented that I was requested at the end of the day on a Friday. She was usually long gone and well into happy hour by the time I came back from lunch.

I walked down the hallway, avoiding curious glances as I arrived outside of her door. I took a deep breath, knocking with two knuckles as I heard a faint, come in.

"Aurora."

Rory.

I didn't correct her, offering a tight-lipped smile instead as she took her glasses off. She stared at me with furrowed eyebrows, clearly lost in thought. I stood awkwardly, unsure if I should take a seat as she finally spoke.

"The Shins tonight. You want it?"

I couldn't hide my surprise, the wide smile spreading across my lips a natural one. "Me? You'll let me cover it?"

"They're playing the Palladium," she indirectly answered, already bored of the conversation and looking down at her phone. "Let's see what you got."

"Thank you," I blurted out, blushing at my outburst. "Thank you. Have a nice night."

I left her office with an extra pep in my step, doing everything I possibly could not to smile like an idiot. I was exhausted and hadn't wanted to do anything over the weekend, but was elated Marisol was finally giving me a chance - and with a band I actually loved.

"You look happy."

I ignored Jamie, shutting my laptop when I got back to my desk. I could finish the article over the weekend - I wanted to go home so I could eat quick, change and head to the venue. I shoved all my stuff in my bag messily, feeling him watch me with amused curiosity.

"What happened? Thinking of me?"

I frowned, hurling the heavy bag onto my shoulder. He blocked the way, crossing his arms so I had no choice but to address him.

"Excuse me."

"Why did Marisol call you in?"

"I got fired. Nice knowing you."

"Did you get a story?"

Involuntarily, I must have smiled - causing one to appear on his lips. "Who?"

"The Shins."

"Let me buy you a drink to celebrate."

I groaned, his laughter loud and genuine. When I went to squeeze by, he moved to let me go - confirming he'd only been joking. "Well, enjoy. Well deserved."

-

Naturally, a night when it was most important to have my shit together, I was late. I'd left the office with pure optimism seeping out of my pores. I'd never felt that way in my entire life - and given how things went after, I never would again.