Twenty-Five

[RORY]

My eyes were down but my hand stilled, the pen hovering on the half-written page of my notebook. I couldn't help but smile, listening intently as Finn sat on the floor to my right, leaned up against the wall strumming my dad's electric guitar. I'd wanted to get started on writing up the interview and he was more than happy to avoid the sun - and especially ecstatic to explore my dad's music room.

I gave in, glancing over and immediately meeting his gaze. He stared at me though I knew his focus was on his hands as he played, eyes narrowing every so often when he hit different notes. I smiled proudly as he picked up speed, playing AC/DC's iconic Back in Black opening chords as if it just came natural to him. His smug smirk confirmed he knew I was impressed as he set the guitar aside, making a show of crawling over to me on his hands and knees.

He didn't say a word as he pressed my legs open, gently taking my notebook and pen and setting them aside. He rose up on his knees and I met him there, cupping his cheeks and kissing him roughly, his tongue immediately slipping between my lips. We made out like teenagers for awhile with no intention of furthering it, simply enjoying being close.

When he finally disconnected our mouths, he had a content smile, running his hand through his hair. "I've got so many song ideas."

 I played with the curls at the nape of his neck, enjoying the little details of his face. "I've heard transforming into a lobster fuels the creative juices."

"Yeah maybe," he teased with a light laugh. "I'm sure landing the coolest girl on the planet also helps."

"Do tell more."

He smiled, pressing his lips to mine curtly. "You really are my muse."

"You just broke many hearts, I can hear the collective crying."

"They'll get over it," he kissed me again, pulling back with a careful gaze. "We've not really, uh. We haven't really spoken... about Max?"

It shouldn't have been a question but I could tell he was nervous as he rubbed the back of his neck, expectedly. "Or Bridgette, for that matter."

I avoided eye contact and had the same mindset on the overall conversation, feeling pathetic for a variety of reasons. Besides not wanting to relive even the highest of highs with Max, I felt stupid for not feeling strong enough to listen to Finn talk about any girl he had deemed worthy enough to label his girlfriend.

I eventually sighed, knowing I couldn't just pretend he'd never said anything. "Yeah, I-"

"Was that a car door?"

I froze, listening as Finn leaned to his right to see down the hallway. He furrowed his eyebrows and right on cue, I heard a very familiar, loud voice. I didn't have time to react before I heard more muffled voices, jumping to my feet and brushing past Finn.

"Fuck."

I'd just stepped into the foyer when the front door opened, my heart nearly pounding out of my chest because my worst nightmare was coming true. Thankfully, Cal was more eager than her friends - her face lighting up when she saw me, oblivious to reality.

"Sister friend! What are you doing up here all alone?"

I didn't need to turn around to know Finn had walked into the room, Cal's expression shifting to one of pleasant surprise. She beamed, offering me a curious glance as she brushed right past me.

"My favorite Brit, hi babe!" I turned around as they hugged, Finn's charm on full display as he gave her a shy smile. "Sunscreen, heard of it?"

"You both love to take the piss," he laughed, looking over at me briefly before back at Cal. "How have ya been?"