Six

[RORY]

Loose pieces of hair falling out of my braid tickled my cheeks and neck, the car's AC vents blasting on the highest setting. It was July 4th and quite possibly the hottest day of the year so far in Los Angeles. You could almost see steam coming from the ground of the parking lot, baking under the relentless sun rays.

I was savoring the solitude of the quiet vehicle, knowing it would be my last few moments of peace. Em was out of town and left me with aggressive parting words: If you don't go to Cal's 4th of July party, I will literally kill you. With a knife.

I knew my pushy best friend meant well. She'd watched me do a complete 180 since the breakup, the days of nightly parties long gone. I knew it was healthy to socialize, to meet people, to have a big friend group, but I didn't just lose Max in the breakup. I'd lost all of my friends - or "friends" - who were, like a bucket of cold water had been poured over my head, suddenly not so interested in hanging around me.

For a second, I considered the consequences of backing my Jeep out and heading back home - or even driving up the coast, listening to a good album, wind in my hair with no chance of forced conversation. It was a beautiful image, one that was worth a potential stabbing in a few days when Em got back.

With a dejected sigh, I turned my key and shut off the ignition. I pulled the mirror down, glancing at my reflection - my usual bare face, with a lovely little visitor that had popped up on my cheek. I hopelessly poked it, knowing the zit wasn't going anywhere in the short amount of time I'd spend walking from my car to the rooftop.

Ripping the metaphorical bandaid off, I got out of the car. A comfortable breeze blew my oversized white shirt, providing some relief to my covered skin as I trudged my way towards the familiar front doors of Cal's building. I got in the elevator and before I'd even reached the top floor, the sounds of loud music and drunken conversation were rattling the doors.

When they opened, I took in the sight in front of me and had to exert every bit of energy inside of me not to hit the button to take me back to the ground floor. There was a sea of bodies, intermingling amongst one another with pretty drinks in hand and practically non-existent bikinis. The very few that noticed my arrival glanced over, but I didn't recognize one.

This is going to be a very enjoyable day.

I pushed my way through the crowd, eyes peeled for Cal or her roommate, Marnie. I'd known Marnie since high school and while we didn't hangout regularly, she was the only one of Cal's friends I could carry a somewhat enjoyable conversation with. I finally spotted my sister, naturally, playing bartender with big black sunglasses on and a vibrant peacock patterned bikini.

"Is this real life?" She dramatically gasped, seeing me as I walked up. I was glad that the people surrounding her had mostly dispersed. "Oh my god, to what do I owe this pleasure?"

"Shut up," I chuckled, forcing my container into her hands. "I brought strawberries."

"I can't believe you came," she repeated with genuine excitement, grinning as she opened the container and blindly dropped a whole strawberry in her mimosa. "Do you want one? Super refreshing."

Ever since The Shins' concert, I'd tried to stay away from alcohol. I'd replayed the night many a time since, for various reasons. "I think I'm good for now."

"Oh, also," she grabbed my arm, tugging me closer so she could whisper something to me. "You didn't tell me you hung out with Finn!"

I hated how my cheeks immediately flushed, out of habit glancing around quickly to make sure nobody was listening. "It wasn't like that, but how do you know?"