Twenty-Eight

[RORY]

"I love you, Max."

His eyes were bloodshot and alit with mischief as he stared into mine, eventually directing his gaze at the waves. The sun was warm as the summer breeze tickled our skin, blowing my hair back off my face. I awaited a response as he took a generous swig from the cheap bottle of Pinot Grigio.

Lips glistening with leftover wine, he spoke the three little words I'd never heard from a boy before. "I love you too."

Our mutual confessions ignited something deep inside my chest. I leaned forward, pressing my lips against his damp pout. He tasted like fruit and cigarettes and I was sure it was the most delicious combination to exist.

"You look angelic right now."

He knew how to make my head spin in all of the right ways as I shamelessly grinned, offering him my hand as I stood up. He accepted it, clambering to his feet. We were both a little wobbly from the stolen liquor, having snuck it from my dad's stash.

"We're late for dinner," I laughed. "Leave the bottle in the sand, we'll come back."

The evening was a blur, the dinner party in full swing as I reached over and grabbed my dad's wine glass. He was mid conversation with a random friend as I took a swig, going unnoticed for the millionth time of the night. I hiccuped, giggling to myself and glancing over at my abnormally quiet boyfriend. His eyes were trained on my dad, listening intently though he was no part of the conversation.

"Let's go skinny dipping."

"Shhh," he hushed me, eyebrows furrowed. My tipsy brain couldn't compute as he spoke again. "Do you think he likes me?"

"He likes everyone," I scoffed, gently tugging on his arm under the table. "Let's go."

"Fine."

The moon provided our only light, the beach empty, as I held his hand and ran through the sand. When he let go, I assumed he was mirroring my own actions - stripping off articles of clothing as we clumsily ran towards the waves. I dove into the water, the refreshing chill of the Pacific igniting my skin as I swam a bit further out.

It took me a second to realize Max was still on the beach.

"Come on!"

I was pouting to myself, the darkness withholding what was happening on shore. I swam just a little bit closer, trying to get a glimpse of who Max was talking to - my dad? I shouted his name again as he raised his arm, shrugging me off without so much as turning around.

I was taken aback as a much larger wave engulfed me from behind, pushing me under the water. I gasped for air as I reemerged, pushing my hair out of my face to see a new scene unfolding on the beach. Max was surrounded by strangers - all girls - fighting for his attention.

"Max!" My voice came out quieter than it should have as I watched on. "Please?"

Another big wave. I was growing progressively more frightened as the water churned around me, getting more violent. It tugged at my ankles, pulling me further away from the beach. I fought against it as best I could, shouting Max's name once more - again, to be ignored.

I could feel panic start to set in when a familiar face emerged from the group, soft brown eyes that I adored. I felt safe again, waving my arm. "Finn?"

Unlike Max, his eyes were trained on me as he attempted to walk away from the group. He'd only made it a few steps when a girl grabbed his arm, pulling him back. He tried to tug out of her grip but she was strong, her smile only growing as he remained in place.