Thirty-Four

[RORY]

I'd successfully run Finn out of his house - quite literally - and knew I had about an hour to make the finishing touches to his music room. While I assumed it would be a fight and I'd have to get creative to get him out, he unknowingly made things very easy for me.

After we'd frantically ripped each other's clothes off and reacquainted ourselves on the entryway table, he needed to use his inhaler - which was a perfect segue into how he was doing with preparations for his mom's run. Once he'd set me up, explaining how he wasn't anywhere near where he needed to be and hadn't had much time to run because of work, I was surprised how easily the bullshit spewed from my lips.

I'd told him I didn't mind, he said he felt bad and could go when I went to bed, and I let him know he shouldn't run at night because that's when the coyotes feed. He laughed me off but when he re-emerged from his room, he had changed and let me know it wouldn't take too long. I'd save the coyote joke for another day, but was thankful it bought me some time.

I'd put George Harrison on, wanting to channel Finn as much as possible as I looked around the room. I'd finished painting it in the few days prior, had Bryce help hang the new lamp I'd gotten him, so all that was left was placing the handful of prints I'd picked out over the past few months. I needed it to be perfect - while I knew Finn would be gracious no matter what I did, I felt an immense amount of pressure knowing what the room meant and symbolized for him. Music was at the core of his being, so I wanted to be sure I made the space as comfortable for him as possible.

I spent the entirety of the time overthinking everything, putting them in various places and then swapping them around. I eventually took a step back, hesitantly thinking that I'd finally nailed it - when I heard the front door open and shut. I chewed on my cheek, nodding to myself knowing that it would have to be good enough before leaving the room.

I could hear Finn before I saw him, panting and humming along to whatever he was listening to. I turned the corner, spotting him in the foyer and immediately smiling. He didn't know I was there, shirtless and drenched in sweat, his hair sticking out every which way. He had headphones on, flattening the curls and clearly drowning out any outside noise as he bobbed his head along, lost in his own world. He slipped his Nikes off, leaving them neatly by the door before turning around and jumping about 10 feet.

"Christ Almighty," he laughed, grabbing the Beats and letting them fall around his neck. "Sneaky little bugger."

I wiggled my eyebrows teasingly, crossing my arms and leaning against the wall. "How'd it go?"

I was happy that he respected my distaste for sweat, simply squeezing my hip and giving me a quick kiss before expecting me to follow him to the kitchen. "Beat my best time."

He filled a glass of water, chugging it as I leaned my elbows on the island. "No way!"

"No way is right," he gasped out, still catching his breath as he ran his fingers back through his hair, pushing the damp curls off his forehead. "I did shit, so fucking slow."

The disappointment on his face was visible, his frown deep as he shook his head at himself. Like always, I sensed what he needed correctly and walked over, wrapping my arms around his hips. "It's okay, you'll get there. I'll be your cheerleader."

"That's sexy," he smiled, pressing his lips to mine. I both loved and hated the immediate fire that spread all over my skin every time we touched, his tongue slipping into my mouth. "You do have the best pompoms."

He cheekily cupped my boobs, squeezing them through my shirt. "Idiot. Go shower, I want to give you your Christmas gift."

I ran to the room while Finn cleaned up, making sure everything was just so. My heart was pounding as I flipped on the new lamp, the light soft and setting the tone. I glanced around, nodding to myself in hopes to calm my nerves, praying he didn't hate it.