Thirty-One

[FINN]

I was peacefully drifting in and out of consciousness, drunk on jet lag and the comforting touch of familiar fingers massaging my scalp, when my phone rang for the third time. I kept my eyes shut and cursed under my breath, repositioning myself on Rory's lap and attempting to ignore the irritating ring tone.

I'd been in LA for just under 48 hours and work demands had been incessant. I was trying so hard to balance my obligations and my alone time with Rory, failing miserably so far. We'd only had one full day together since the argument and the entire time had been taken up by an Instagram Takeover for MTV, a phone interview for some German magazine, album two discussions with the label, and random other phone calls from Harrison.

I'd wrapped everything up, joining Rory on the couch to watch a film on the TV that had finally arrived. I'd let her choose because while she wasn't one to complain, I knew her cramps were bad - she'd been glued to the couch with the heating pad all morning.

"I'm gonna throw that fucking thing in a pool," I muttered with my eyes closed as it finally stopped. "Goodbye, world."

"You don't have a pool."

"Neighbor probably does."

The opening credits of Fast Times at Ridgemont High were playing. I had a feeling she was braiding my unruly hair but I somehow didn't mind. The slight tug felt nice, and so did her simple touch - no matter how innocent. The heating pad was warm on the back of my head too, a bonus.

We'd gotten to the part where Spicoli orders a pizza to the classroom and I was just opening my eyes with premature amusement when my phone started buzzing again.

"Holy fuck."

I reached over to the coffee table, dead set on putting the persistent device on Do Not Disturb mode when I caught the screen. Quickly doing the math in my head, I peeled myself off the couch.

"Everything okay?"

"Sorry, I've got to get this," I muttered, rubbing over my face in agitation. "It's my dad, it's late. I just need to be sure everything is alright."

"No worries, I can pause it."

She'd not finished speaking as I leaned down, kissing her quiet. "Mm, no. You've done enough waiting on me today, play it. I'll be right back."

"No rush."

The response was ironic because I would be rushing - but not because of Rory's impatience. I'd barely spoken to my dad since I was last in London for a variety of reasons, feeling further away from him than ever. I'd always battle conflicting feelings when it came to our relationship, knowing that mum had hopes it would grow over the years while also knowing that even her optimism couldn't overshadow reality.

I stepped out the back door, walking barefoot out onto the patio. I channeled the gentle, cool breeze as I answered the phone, aiming to at least try and keep the peace.

"Hey."

"There he is," he casually retorted, his tone far lighter than usual. I chose not to read into it too soon, figuring he'd just not spoken to me in a bit and had forgotten how annoying he found me. At the very least, it seemed as though nothing was wrong. "I've rang you a few times tonight."

"Sorry, been busy."

"Where are you? Back in the States?"

"Yeah in LA, spending some time with my girlfriend."

"Same lass? Rory?"

I was shocked he remembered, hating the way that even a simple gesture like that meant something to me. "Yeah, yeah."