Shrinking Spells

"What happened to you?" Airam gasped as I entered our room at 1 am. The scrapes on my arms were bleeding slightly and I looked like I had just crawled out of a literal pile of dirt. I groaned and collapsed on my bed, panting. Harry and I had ran the entire way from the forest all the way to the castle without stopping, and he still didn't tell me where on earth he needed to be, even though I stupidly hadn't asked. I picked my head up to see Airam and Jalen had rushed over to my bed, but Pansy was no where in sight. I really didn't care at that moment. I told them everything I had just done, including seeing the dragons.

"So they expect you to fight dragons?" Jalen exclaimed. "And that's only for the first task! Imagine the second and third! They're honestly trying to kill you!"

"No, no! They're taking precautions this year!" Airam said hurriedly, nudging Jalen in the side.

"No, I know already, Airam. It's okay...I can't get any more nervous than I already am," I admitted. They looked at each other before looking back at me. My cheeks burned at the look they were giving me: pity. I quickly sat up. "I need to go shower," I insisted. I got up hurriedly and rushed to the restroom, slamming the door behind me.

_____

In Potions, Snape kept sending me weird looks. I wasn't too worried about it, though. I hadn't been worried about anything except the first task for an entire two weeks.

"Sierra," Draco hissed at me. "What are you doing?!"

I blinked my eyes and a wave of pain shot up my arm and I yelped and jumped back. I looked down at my hand and noticed a huge burn. My eyes watered as boils began to appear. I had been leaning my hand too close to the bottom of the cauldron and had touched the fire.

Snape's head snapped in our direction as Draco bellowed his name. He swept over and pointed his wand at my hand. The boils began to go away and the pain ceased. I shook it around a bit and looked up at Snape, my cheeks pink. "See me after you've finished all your classes, Ms. Riddle."

I nodded and he walked off. I huffed and turned back to my cauldron. Draco snatched up my hand and inspected it. "You haven't even gone through the first task and you've already been injured," he mumbled bitterly.

When all my classes were done, I made my way to Snape's room. I raised my hand to knock on the door but before I could it swung open. Snape stood there, looking a bit irritated. "You're late. I thought you had forgotten."

"The corridor was crowded," I said simply. He grunted before motioning for me to go inside. I did and he closed the door behind us, muttering Muffliato. Then he sat down behind his desk and I sat in the closest chair to him.

"So," he said, placing his hands on the table and narrowing his eyes at me. "I assume you know what your first task is?"

"Dragons," I grumbled.

"Have you even thought about how you're going to get past it?"

"Of course I have!" I exclaimed as I threw my hands up. "It's all I've thought about! I can't even focus in any of my classes--"

"I think your classes are the least of your worries this year," he interrupted blankly. "Since I'm almost positive you haven't been able to come up with anything--"

"What makes you think that?!" I asked defensively.

"Well have you?"

I averted my gaze away from him. "No," I mumbled.

"Exactly," he said. "As I was saying, since I'm almost positive you haven't been able to come up with anything, I'm going to help you." He stood from his chair and walked to the middle of the classroom. He pointed his wand at the door and I heard a click. He swished his wand and all the desks flew to the corner of the room, slamming against the wall hard. "Come here," he ordered. I stood up, walked over to him, and stood in front of him. He took out his wand and I immediately did the same. "You're father has been trying to get inside your head to teach you this spell but he can never do it. He ordered me to do it for him." He pointed his wand at the desk I was sitting in a moment ago.