Decisions

Opening the attic door I stepped into the darkness as the smell of wet wood and rusting metal surrounded me. The years of dust tickled my nose making me sneeze, thankfully my vision isn't compromised even if there is no source of light, I was able to switch on the tiny bulb lighting up the whole place.

My eyes roamed the entire room as I tried to remember where the books were kept. I walked towards where Dad's office chair and table were kept and looking behind it I found five labelled huge carton boxes filled with books.

Sitting on my knees, I started opening them one by one. The first box contained all his office books and files, the second contained Romance novels, and the third...

Aha! Books about werewolves, finally.
Carrying the box on my waist, I turned off the light and closed the door as I walked downstairs to the living room.

Setting the box on the floor, I started looking through all the books about us. There were books written on topics that I'd either never heard about or didn't dare to think of.

Wait, Necromancy?
Why does Dad have books on necromancy with werewolves?
Weird...

And at last, I finally found the book I was looking for.

'Werewolves and their Mates'

I placed the other books back in the box and pushed them aside. Sitting comfortably on the sofa, I opened the book and searched the Index for the title hinting at mates and rejection. Flipping through the pages I came upon the chapter titled The Case of Rejection.

Going through the lines I found nothing new though. Most of the stuff I knew already, the effects of rejection, the consequences, and the punishments following it. Apparently, centuries ago when Dark werewolves were more dominant in strength and population, they didn't take the rejection of mates lightly and had many retributions to prevent it.

Fortunately, Dark werewolves, or the Lycans as popularly known today reduced in strength and numbers and there are barely any packs left of them outside the realm.

Going through the chapter page after page, I ended up on the last page where a small line in bold caught my attention.

'Breaking The Bond'

'When a wolf rejects his mate, especially in the case of alpha, to protect their wolves from dying both wolves can break the bond between them thus freeing each other. This method was used in extreme scenarios when Lycans couldn't punish or dethrone a wolf of power. In the rare circumstances when the rejection was considered valid and legal breaking the mating bond would save the lives of both spirits.
However, the method was highly unstable and the results varied from couple to couple. There are some side effects like even after the process the wolves could die or maybe go into permanent hibernation. And..'

And??

And what, fuck, the page was torn. What else was there? I flip through more pages and chapters for the next hour but found nothing related to it.

Goddamit, it had to be the warning part.
Slumping back in my seat I began to think of what I could do. It's the only way I can save Gracia but there are chances that he still may... I don't even want to say the fucking word.

'You should do it.'

My eyes opened wide at that but I closed them immediately and concentrated on him.

'Are you sure Gracia, it can have alternate effects too? I am ready to carry the pain all my life but I can't lose you at any cost.' I can sense the emotions of my spirit just like my own and the sudden feeling of warmth engulfing all of me tells of how much he believes my words.