New Mates

Please point out any grammatical or linguistic mistakes you come across.

It is dark outside and well past 6. Grandpa and I have been talking about anything and everything and for some reason, the crowd is less than I hoped. Instead, there should be an evening rush at this hour.

"It's quiet," I said absentmindedly but it caught grandpa's attention. He looked around before facing me.

"It's Thursday. The market remains closed around this area today. Most of our crowd are regulars like store owners and office goers. Office rush comes two times a day from seven to eleven in the morning and then from around 8 to eleven at night. On weekends we get a younger crowd that comes to the entertainment centers around the area.

Our menu also changes based on the timings and days. The screen above shows the changed menu and the staff changes the placard menu on the counter." He pointed to the menu screen above the reception. It was similar to the ones in Mc Donalds and KFC joints only it wasn't static.

"Don't worry, you'll get used to it while working here.

Btw, have you met the staff members? Most of them are your age so you'll like working with them." Saying this Grandpa turned around and motioned for Fiona and Sam to join us.

Both of them shared a look before walking toward us since the counter was empty. I can imagine the thoughts running through their heads. They drew closer and stood on the side facing us.

"Sam, Fiona this is Andrew. He'll be joining you guys from tomorrow.

He is new in the city and this is his first job so be kind to him, alright? Make him learn all the ropes and dump on him all the work you can. He can handle it."

I looked at Grandpa surprised my smile vanishing in an instant. Wow, what a great way to introduce someone. I wasn't sure if he was helping me or them.

"Hello," I raised my hand to greet them.

"Hi, Welcome to the family." Fiona let out a comforting warmth in her hand and I felt its effects washing over my body. Must be her charm skill.

"Hi, Sam. I hope you enjoy your time here." his hold was tighter than I expected and that greeting was a little... weird. I looked at him quizzically but he moved back.

"Well, Theo should be here by now. And Fiona your shift is ending so please show Andrew around, after that sayonara." she nodded at grandpa smiling at the last part.

"I will be in my office Andrew, I have some work left, you can meet me there after she is done showing you around." Grandpa stood up patted Sam on his back and left walking towards the little door hidden behind the counter that I didn't notice before.

Sam took his leave with a little bow following Grandpa.

"Should we start?" she asked looking at me.

"Sure," I said and followed after her.

Our first stop was behind the order counter. She explained the system and drawers and everything else and then the machines used to make the orders. I definitely need practice with them. After that, she showed me the bathroom and told me about the rotating shifts for its cleaning.

Great!
She kept stealing glances at me and I can figure out the question in her mind. She is wondering about my relationship with Grandpa.
But I am not gonna tell her, if she finds out herself then good otherwise I have no obligation to tell anything.

We moved back to the counter where she removed her phone from the charging, said goodbye to Sam, and walked towards the same doors, probably opening to the back area.