Breakfast

When Bucky walked out of the disguised therapy building through a simple brown door, he found no other than Sam, parked up front of the building in his new blue Ford Truck, awaiting him.

Usually on therapy days, although Bucky would run to the building himself, by the time he was done, Sam was usually there to pick him up. However, his therapy had ended earlier today so Bucky wasn't expecting Sam to arrive for at least another 30 minutes.

As Bucky approached the car, Sam looked up from his phone which he seemed to be watching funny videos on, and offered a small smile towards Bucky.

"You're early."

Despite Bucky's down mood, a small smile still tugged at his lips as he pulled open the passenger side door of the car and clambered inside.

"You're early too."

Sam chuckled and turned the keys in the car, roaring the truck to life.

"So, I was thinking we could go get breakfast somewhere since it's still morning. What do you think?"

After Bucky didn't offer a response, Sam glanced his way and nudged his shoulder.

"Hm? Oh, sure I guess. Whatever you say."

Sam eyed Bucky weirdly.

"You good man? You zoned out for a minute there."

Bucky clenched his jaw.

"I'm just fine, Sam."

Sam stared at Bucky for a little longer, reading the metaphorical mask that was on Bucky's face before he eventually sighed and began to pull out of the parking lot of the SHEILD building.

"I'm thinking we could go to JJ's (I don't know if that's a real restaurant 🤷‍♀️), they have real good breakfast wraps and sandwiches there, and I know you'll love 'em."

Although not particularly in the mood for food, Bucky couldn't help but smile at Sam's efforts to please him.

"Sure Sam, sure."

The pair rode the rest of the way to the restaurant in comfortable silence, only the occasional cough or short conversation interrupting the peace between the two men.

//////////

"Here we are," Sam spoke as he turned the steering wheel to the right and entered the medium sized parking lot of the breakfast place: JJ's.

He drove down the almost empty isles of the lot, and picked a spot right under a large palm tree, hoping that the small amount of shade would prevent the truck's interior from warming up too much while they were in the restaurant.

After twisting the keys in their slot before removing them; shutting off the car, Sam and Bucky both slid out of the truck quickly.

"Mhmm!" Sam exclaimed, as the pair walked towards the entrance to the restaurant.
"Can you smell that Buck, it smells like heaven."

Bucky snorted.

"You obviously have low standards."
Sam faked a gasp and lightly hit Bucky on the shoulder, making the two men laugh.

As they reached the entrance to the restaurant, Bucky pulled open the door, and let Sam walk in first before following behind him.

Once he had closed the door, Bucky awkwardly stalked up to Sam who was already up at the ordering zone, seeing as there was no line, and was checking the large menu displayed on the wall, speaking to the waitress as he did so.

He caught part of Sam's conversation as he stood to the right of him.

"Could I also get that with a side of celery? Oh, and I'd love one of your hot coffee specials."
The red-headed lady who stood on the other side of the register smiled and typed Sam's order into the register.