Its Not What It Looks Like

Btw I just realized that I named Bucky's abusive caretaker Jeremy, like Jeremy Renner. I love Jeremy so much tho so I wish I could change the name 😢. I'm praying for him and his family after the accident he had.

——-

The car ride home from the store had been completely silent.

Mainly because Bucky had fallen asleep in the back of the car, and Sam didn't wish to wake him up.

Upon pulling into the Wilson house's driveway, Sam was greeted with his sister's car. That was kind of an issue, because how was he supposed to get a sleeping and mostly regressed Bucky up to his room without her seeing? What if the kids were there too?

Sam sighed.
He knew that the truth would have to come out sooner or later, he just wanted to make sure that nothing impacted Bucky negatively.

He'd been planning on taking Bucky to visit the new apartment tomorrow, because the basic furniture and construction was supposed to be wrapping up today. They'd probably be moving in the next couple days. He still hadn't told his sister that trivial piece of information, although she had known that Sam was looking for a new place.

A loud suckling noise pulled Sam from his internal conflict.

He looked in the little front mirror at Bucky who was slouched over in the back seat, his head resting against the window, and his metal arm still loosely clutching the stuffed cat as he sucked his pacifier almost hungrily.

Sam smiled at the adorable sight. He could tell how tired the man had been and it was comforting seeing him look almost peaceful. Judging from how much nightmare trouble Bucky had, it was a surprise to see him comfortably sleeping, even if it had only been about 30 minutes.

He quickly turned off the car and opened his door, stepping out. He'd come get their shopping bags and clothes in a minute. First though, he was going to bring Bucky to his room.

Sam decided to open the other back door of the car, not the one Bucky was leaning on.

He knelt down and crawled into the car before pausing.

He wasn't sure if Bucky would wake up when he tried to lift him, but he hoped he could get him to fall asleep again if he did.

Sam gently wrapped his arms around Bucky's waist and lifted him so that the boy sat limp in his lap. He rested Bucky's head softly on his shoulder, and then used the arm that wasn't supporting Bucky to push open the door that his head had been previously laying on.

Then, Sam slowly scooted out of the car as best he could.

However, the second Sam stood up, he felt Bucky squirm a little, and saw his eyes open slightly.

"Hey baby it's okay, I'm just moving you. You can go back to sleep."

Bucky grumbled sleepily and looked at Sam with barely opened eyes.

"ababa" he mumbled from behind his pacifier before closing his eyes and hiding his face back into Sam's shoulder.

The babyish babble made Sam grin from ear to ear.

He gently kissed Bucky's brown locks.

"I love you sweetheart."

Sam then began to slowly walk towards the front door of the house, internally praying that when he entered, his sister or nephews wouldn't be chilling in the front room.

Upon reaching the front door, he quickly pulled his keys from his pocket and slid them into the lock, twisting them.

When he heard the familiar click of the door, Sam twisted the handle and opened it ever so slightly, stopping to see if he could hear anyone.