The Folder

For almost a full minute after Sam and Bucky had made eye contact, neither said a thing.

Sam awkwardly stood in the doorway, and Bucky awkwardly sat on his couch bed.

The only light visible in the front room of the two story house was the light that creeped through the cracks of the curtain-covered windows.

Eventually, Bucky cleared his throat.

"So..." the metal armed man began.

"What happened? What took so long? And what are you holding?" Bucky spoke, raising his normal hand to point at the file that he could barely make out that Sam was holding.

Sam instinctively pulled the file closer to him.

"Umm...well..."

He didn't know what to say.
Obviously he would have to discuss with Bucky what had happened; he couldn't just hide it away from the man.

However it was very late, and Sam really wasn't in the best mood to explain to Bucky all that had happened, and have the soldier flip out on him.

"Shouldn't you be asleep by now?" Sam chose to say instead, already sounding like a caregiver as he attempted to ignore Bucky's question and instead make his way upstairs.

"Don't mess with me Sam, what is it?"

Bucky huffed when Sam ignored him and sat up taller in bed.

"Sam? Sam? SAM!" he yelled, and Sam stilled.

"Be quiet will ya?" Sam muttered, his head drooping low.

Bucky raised an eyebrow.

"Okay, what did they tell you? What's in that file, and why was it so important that you came to them alone? Your acting really weird."

Sam sighed and turned to face Bucky with tired eyes. He looked over at the metal armed man who sat up in his bed, wondering if one day he would be able to hold him, and sing to him, and play toys with him.

"Can we talk about this tomorrow? Maybe for breakfast?"

Bucky's eyes squinted.

"So it does have something to do with me."

Sam didn't respond, he simply began to walk over to Bucky.
He figured with Bucky being so persistent, he might as well give Bucky what he wanted and have the man process it on his own before he attempted to reason with him.

He stopped walking once he had reached the side of Bucky's couch bed.

Without second thought, Sam plopped the file on top of the bed sheets, and begun to make his way over to the stairs.

"Night Buck, sweet dreams," Sam spoke as he made his way up the stairs, knowing that Bucky most likely wouldn't be sleeping at all tonight.

And he probably wasn't going to either.

/////
Once he had made his way upstairs and into his room, Sam didn't bother doing anything more than sliding off his dark blue jacket and placing it on the handle of his bedroom door, before he plopped himself on top of the grey covers of his queen sized bed.
He closed his eyes and fell back into his pillow, letting the bed's softness swallow him whole for a moment, taking in the comfort, until something came to his mind.

He opened his eyes again and nonchalantly pulled his phone from out of his pants pocket, turning it on and unlocking it before going onto google and going onto a furniture website that he had been using to order stuff for the new apartment.

He scrolled to the top of the website from where he had been looking at sofas before, and hovered his fingers over one of the tabs on the top of the page.

Little supplies and decor

Sam sighed and thought back to the information in the file.
Bucky's headspace wasn't even a year old.
Sam had never even met a little that was younger than two years old, and being an Avenger, he had met a lot of little's.

It was really rare for a little to have a headspace that was under a year old, and those that did were practically always in their headspace. Unlike other littles who were capable of occasionally working, and raising the family of their own, these younger littles weren't really able to care for themselves. There were only occasional cases in which a little under the age of three would land a huge job, and out of the entire US government, there was only one little under the age of two, that worked for it.

Whatever the case, Bucky definitely wasn't healthy, if he, a little that could be a small as eight months old, hadn't regressed in years.

Turning his attention back to the tab that he had been hovering his hand over, Sam took a deep breath.

He reached his other hand back into his pant pocket in which his phone had been earlier, and pulled out a folded slip of thick light blue copy paper.

He unfolded the paper, and opened it to reveal a list of rules that coincided with Bucky's headspace age, meaning that by law, Bucky would have to follow the rules on the paper.

It was originally in the thick yellow file that Sam had dropped in front of Bucky, but he had slipped it out of the file, not wanting to further pressure the little, since the file was already telling him that Sam would be his new caregiver. He figured that this could be a discussion for another day.

Sam quietly read over some of the rules and notes on the paper, before folding it again and sliding it back onto his pocket.

His finger still hovered over the tab on his phone.

He clicked on it, and his screen flashed to a new browser.

Equipment and supplies for little's

Sam sighed

This was going to be a long night...

///////////

Once Bucky was sure Sam had entered his room, he turned his attention to the yellow file that the other man had reluctantly threw on his bed.

He reached over and lifted up the file which was surprisingly thick, meaning there must be a lot of important paper in it.
He flipped it around in his hands, contemplating what important information was in it.
Maybe some SHEILD mission, or a report of all the recent agents lost during fights. Whatever it was, Bucky new that it was important to Sam, and that it probably had something to do with him. Maybe it was a refined kill list of all the people he had attacked as the Winter Soldier, who knew?

He eventually gathered the courage to gently flip open the folder and look at the first page.

James Buchanan Barnes
Classification: Little

Bucky froze.