A Difficult Childhood

Russia was still woozy from the sedative. Every so often, he would attempt to lift his arm, thinking Rina and Natalia were still there.

"Why do I feel like jelly?" Russia asked.

"You're still recovering from the magic sleep pills and this is just a side affect," Belarus joked.

Spain snorted at the joke, which caused China to wheeze, who then caused Italy to laugh. You could almost see the question marks above Russia's head. "What's so funny?" he asked. "I'm sure magic sleep pills are no joke."

"Alright, monsieur," France said, "I believe it's te for you to use those magic sleep pills." She pulled the covers over Russia.

"Why? It's not night yet."

"No, your mind is just out of whack right now." France kissed Russia on the cheek. "Now sleep." She borrowed Japan's phone, looking for calming music to help Russia fall asleep. Her brow furrowed as she looked through Japan's search history. "Japan, why is your search history just anime episodes?"

America stifled a laugh. Japan went bright pink. "Nothing."

France gave her a funny look, but went back to the phone. Soon, she had pulled up some gentle music, and Russia was soon snoring quietly.

Canada smiled. Her mother truly acted like Russia was her own son. She looked at Russia, and knew he probably wished that France was his mother.

He had lived a hard life. Even though he had been favored by his mother, Soviet, he was still treated like complete garbage as a child. The Cold War only made things worse. Whenever Soviet returned home for the short periods of time she had, she became very angry very easily, and she would take her sudden bursts of anger out on her children. None of them understood why.

As the years went by, little did anyone know that Soviet was not keeping herself well. Her health and the economy of her country began to weaken. Cracks began to form on her body, and she knew that she wouldn't last much longer. She became less strict and gave her children and the countries on the Eastern Bloc more freedom.

In 1989, the war was officially over. However, it it did not end happily. Lithuania decided that he was sick of living under his mother's shadow, and declared independence. Soon, the others followed. Even Russia left, but only because his people demanded to do so.

On December 26, 1991, Soviet felt herself begin to crack. Russia had heard what happened, and hurried to be with her. That was when she apologized for everything she did to everyone she hurt. Then, she crumbled away into dust, her words still echoing in Russia's mind.

"Remember me and my words: I love you with all my heart."