Samurai

Russia was getting better. Weeks had passed since Canada encountered No-Man. He hadn't attacked anyone since Italy, who he himself was getting better. He no longer needed a sling and only a few bandages around his wound. Russia's bruises had gone away and he stopped needing bandages all over his body, only in a few places. He could sit up properly without pain — and eat syrup with pancakes. Things seemed like they were going fine. One unfortunate day, disaster struck.

Everyone was chatting about things as usual. Nobody could hear it yet, but a quiet sound rang through the air. It gradually became louder and louder until it was a deafening screech. Then, it sounded as if an invisible bell gonged and the screeching stopped. There was silence. Then the bell gonged again.

Gong... Gong... Gong...

It rang forty-seven times. On the last gong, a blast if light filled the room. Then, the light ceased abruptly, and there stood No-Man, motionless in the middle of the room.

Everyone again formed a protective circle around Russia, but tension could be felt. No one knew who No-Man could be after.

No-Man held out his arms in front of him. In his hands, a sword formed, long and thin. A samurai sword. A katana. No-Man was definitely different this time. It was obvious, and his form showed it. He was a little shorter than last time, but was thinner and looked more fit.

No-Man took tiny steps towards the circle, and approached Japan, stopping in front of her. Her usually large pupils retracted to slits. Her tail went stiff and her ears flattened against her white hair.

No-Man put the sword to his hand, and with a quick movement sliced his hand. He didn't flinch. He reached out his hand, and smeared the blood on Japan's face. She grimaced at No-Man'a strange action. She looked at him with terrified eyes.

"What do you want?"

No-Man didn't reply, instead raised the katana above his head. Japan shrieked and shut her eyes, waiting for the blow.

America punched No-Man to the floor, his sword clattering. He growled quietly. He reached into a pocket that was nearly invisible, and pulled out a throwing star, a shuriken. He hurled it at America, but he dodged it. Instead it hit Japan. Right in the heart.

She screamed in pain, clutched her chest, and crumpled to the ground in a crying heap.

"You think you've outsmarted me?" No-Man asked. America, in reply, pulled out a gun he always had in handy and shot at No-Man. He was hit several times. No-Man cried out in pain. "You've won again," he said, holding his bleeding torso. "But this is not over!" With a flash of light and a final gong of the invisible bell, he was gone.

America turned to Japan, surrounded by others, crying in pain. He ran over to her side to help her and to see how bad the wound was. The shuriken was lodged into her chest, bleeding profusely. America gently grasped the edge of it and tried to pull it out.

"America-chan, what are you doing?" Japan asked through tears.

"Trying to get this thing out of you," America replied through gritted teeth. After a bit, with much crying, screaming, and effort, the shuriken was removed. America smashed it on the ground where it could hurt no one again.

Rina poked her head in the room after hearing all the commotion. "Is everything alright?" she asked, then saw Japan. "Goodness! What happened here!"

"Japan needs help now!" Brazil exclaimed.

"She was hit by a shuriken!" China added.

"What is a 'shuriken' and why is it in this hospital?" Rina asked.

"It's a long story," Germany said.

"Please, help her!" Belarus begged.

Rina nodded and took Japan into a different room to be treated. Everyone was in shock of what happened.

"Nice going, America," Spain muttered.

"What did I do!?" America exclaimed.

"He did nothing, Spain," France said sternly. "He dodged it from instinct."

"No, this is all my fault," America moaned. "If only I had shot at No-Man the first time, none of this would've happened."

"It's not your fault, Ame," Canada said, trying to comfort her brother. But she could tell that deep down, he thought it was his fault. He hadn't thought quickly enough, and he ended up hurting Japan. He sat down in a chair and sobbed.

Russia had Japan on his mind, too. It wasn't America's fault. No-Man was just too good. No-Man. What was different about him? Russia thought. He sounded like a woman again. Russia's mind swirled with thoughts. No-Man had been a tall female, a short male, and now a short female.

What is going on?