Chapter 11 - Advances, Rejections

After a while, they both end up in a restaurant, after the whole tiring endeavor of shopping for each other

Just as the casual talk was going, "How long have you two been together?" Soobin asked.

"I have known her almost all my life, but we have been together for four years," he smiled. "We met at the playground when we were young. It was an organic transition from friends to lovers," his gaze wavered as he reminisced.

"When we were 14, we promised that if we didn't meet and fall in love with someone else, we would marry each other by the time we turned 23. It was a childish promise, but we pinky swore by it."

Soobin tilted his head to the side to wonder, "Is that why you engaged?"

Yeonjun nodded. We didn't get engaged because we dated each other when we were in high school. We broke up when she decided to study in Japan, and I was in college. But we got back together when she came back. I read somewhere that relationships are stronger the second time around.

Soobin simply shrugged in response.

Yeonjun continued, "We didn't really date anyone else while we were apart. When we got back together, everyone expected us to get married, but we weren't ready, so we just got engaged."

Yeonjun didn't mean to talk about his love story, but he simply felt like reminiscing. Those were simpler days, after all.

So, he turned his attention back to Soobin.

"What about you?" Yeonjun flashed Soobin an inquiring look. "How long have you and your wife been married?"

"Five years," Soobin replied.

"You said you two were in an arranged marriage?" Yeonjun asked, feeling a little nosey, but he was curious. And it was only fair since he talked about himself and Yeji.

Soobin seemed to get this as well as he answered, "Yes, we were, Out parents are long-time business associates, so I've met Ryujin a few times during the gathering and social meetings. Our opinions and feelings were taken into account for the arrangement. Still, I wasn't really dating anyone at the time, and Ryujin wasn't interested in meeting anyone else either."

Apparently, that had changed, except it was with an engaged woman.

"We agreed to the match but decided to stay engaged for a year, so we had time to back out if either of us decided we didn't want to do it anymore."

"But you went with it, the marriage," Yeonjun stated.

Soobin nodded, "we di like each other. I suppose you could call us friends, as well, and at some point, I did grow to love her. In the first year of our marriage, we tried to have a child to have an heir. And our parents figured a child could deepen our marriage even more." At this part, Soobin's face sort of fell. "We tried everything, but nothing worked; we gave up eventually."

Soobin's voice softened towards the end, and Yeonjun suddenly felt sorry for asking. HE felt the urge to hug him, but a person was serving the other dish they had ordered before he could.

The talk just rested there, both not knowing what to continue about.

"Do you want anything else to drink, Soobin-ssi?" Yeonjun asked as he didn't want the atmosphere to be silent.

"Water is fine," he smiled a little.

+×+

Collar straight? Check.

Top 3 buttons undone? Check.

Hem tucked into ironed-out dark jeans? Check.

Midnight blue jacket? Check.

Neatly brushed out hair? Check.

An attractive winning smile? Double-check.

Yeonjun took a deep breath, giving himself one last once-over in the mirror before deeming himself ready.

"You can do this," he told his reflection before schooling his features into one of cool confidence.

With his back straight, head held high, and sure steps, he exited the bedroom and headed out to where Yeji was finishing up washing the dishes from their breakfast, humming a tune. She was already dressed for work in her usual black blouse, dark skinny jeans, and her most comfortable flats.

Quietly as he could, Yeonjun approached her from behind and wrapped his arms around her waist. She jumped, water and soap flying everywhere.

"Yeonjun!" she shrieked sounding annoyed, but Yeonjun knew she really wasn't. "Don't do that! You know how jumpy am."

"Sorry, sorry," he said as he turned her around, not minding her soapy hands.

She looked him over and whistled, appreciatively. "Look at you, all handsome and fancy. That friend of yours did really well in picking out your clothes."

It had been a week since Yeonjun had gone shopping with Soobin and he had been wearing them all with dedication. The first time he showed himself to Yeji in his new getup, she looked surprised, her mouth opens in shock at the sight.

Then, she had complimented him and he had preened at the attention, boasting that a good friend of his had given them to him (technically not a lie).

Yeonjun grinned cheekily at her. "Handsome enough to kiss?" He wiggled his eyebrows, suggestively.

Yeji chuckled and leaned in kissing his cheek. It was quick. Chaste. And didn't feel at all passionate. It felt too... distant.

She began to pull away but Yeonjun pulled her back again, determined to kiss her fully. And just like that, he felt her stiffen in his arms. She was responding but her lips were slow and hesitant against his... like fulfilling a duty they didn't want.

Breaking the kiss, Yeonjun smiled and leaned his forehead against hers, hoping to relay his feelings of love and affection through that simple touch despite the ache in his chest. Yeji smiled back, sweetly.

"You know... we have some time before we have to go to work today," Yeonjun said to her in a low seductive voice as his fingers drummed against the hem of her pants. "Maybe we can-."

Yeji pulled away, wiping her hands in the apron around her waist as she looked towards the sink, avoiding Yeonjun's eyes.

"I-I'm sorry, but I have to be early today, do you mind finishing up the dishes?" she asked, her voice shaking a little.

The churn of disappointment made itself known once more in the pit of his stomach as he watched Yeji remove her apron and hand it over to him before excusing herself to finish getting ready.

She left Yeonjun standing there blinking into thin air

All week, she had been rejecting his advances with various excuses. She was too tired. She didn't feel good. She felt like her period was coming up. She didn't shave or anything she could think of.

Yeonjun tried to be understanding, he really did. But he felt pushed away. He just wanted to be with his fiance, but it seemed she didn't want to be with him at all.

With a depressed sigh, he reached into his pocket for his phone and texted his friend, asking him to meet him that night after work.

He desperately needed a drink.

~~~~

How are you all doing?? I know it's been sooo long but exams are alwaysss a pain :((

THE COMEBACKK IS INSANEE!!!

THE VOCALS THE MV THE RAP THE LYRICS EVERY DDDAMNN THINGGG