Chapter 22 - Expensive alcohol

Yeonjun was just wiping down the dining table after dinner when he heard it again

A deep, contemplative sigh.

From the time he got home about two hours ago to after they had finished dinner, he noticed that Yeji had been a bit spaced out. She had been randomly sighing too. He had asked her if anything was wrong but she said she was just tired, but that excuse wasn't really believable. Something was distracting and worrying his wife but she wasn't telling him.

"You okay over there?" he asked, nonchalantly.

From the sink where she was finishing up washing the dishes, Yeji turned her head towards him with a strained smile and hummed in response before turning back to her task.

Yeonjun sighed at his wife's dismissiveness. It wasn't like he could do anything since she wasn't telling him what was wrong. They used to be able to tell each other everything. Now, they were both just full of secrets.

A 'beep' from his phone sitting on the coffee table interrupted his musings. There was a text message from Soobin.

"I'm parked in the corner a block from your building."

Yeonjun's brows practically flew to his hairline as he stared at the message. It was an odd one. Why was Soobin at his place? Did he want Yeonjun to come out and meet him?

As if answering his question, another text followed, "I need someone to talk to." It was quickly followed by a, "Please."

Now, Yeonjun was incredibly worried so he shoved his phone into his pocket before calling out to Yeji.

"Yeobo! I'm going out for a bit!"

From the kitchen, Yeji turned around, surprised. "Why? It's already 8."

Yeonjun picked up his keys from the little dish on the cabinet. "My friend seems to be in trouble. I need to go see them. Don't wait up."

Grabbing his jacket, he quickly put it on and raced out of the apartment, texting an "On my way" to Soobin as he did so.

He jogged down the block, his eyes sharp as he scanned the area for the familiar sleek BMW.

He spotted it in the exact same crossing that Soobin had parked at the last time they met up. Wasting no time, Yeonjun continued to fast talk towards it and upon reaching the car, he peered into the tinted windows. The dim light of the street lamp did nothing to improve his vision so he gently knocked on the window.

It didn't take long for him to hear the sound of doors unlocking so he quickly opened the door and slid into the passenger seat.

Soobin looked just like how Yeji looked earlier: spaced out and seemed to be in his own world. He didn't even look like he noticed Yeonjun come in, even though he opened the door.

"Soobin?," Yeonjun called out softly as he reached out with a hand to place it on Soobin's shoulder.

This seemed to shake Soobin out of his daze as he turned his head to look at Yeonjun. His eyes were blank, so Yeonjun couldn't read what was going on there. He looked utterly exhausted.

"Yeonjun," Soobin stated, simply.

He paused, as if thinking of what to say next. Then, he smiled a smile that was obviously fake. Yeonjun wanted to reach out and hug him, just to offer even a little comfort.

"Let's go drink?," Soobin continued.

Before Yeonjun could even reply, Soobin had already started the car and began to drive. Stunned at Soobin's impulsivity, Yeonjun chose to remain quiet and, instead, texted Yeji that he might be home late because his friend needed him.

The entire ride was quiet. Yeonjun didn't even know where they were going. Even though he wanted to ask, he feared upsetting Soobin even more or triggering something unpleasant. Yet, he was confused.

Soobin went out on a date with Ryujin today. He was supposed to be happy and celebrating.

But, why did he look like the world was ending and he had accepted his fate?

Soobin took him to a high-class bar that he could never afford on his own if he went alone. Soobin had asked for a private room along with a bottle of expensive bourbon.

It was after both men had settled on comfortable couches with a glass of alcohol and after they had toasted and taken a sip that Soobin finally spoke.

"Ryujin asked for a divorce," he stated, like he was simply talking about the weather.

Yeonjun's mouth fell open in surprise. "Wait. What?! Why?!"

Soobin shrugged. "Don't know. I left without asking why." He sighed.

"I should have known that date was too good to be true. Who was I kidding? That she really wanted to be with me?"

He let out a humorless laugh before taking a swig of the bourbon and putting the glass back down on the table. He leaned back against the couch, hands at his stomach and eyes staring blankly at the ceiling.

----

a/n: just a short one bfr i get to write more!

hope you all are doing well! <3