Chapter 10

Link was in the house stirring up some pot roast. The windows were open and the smell wafted through the air, attracting all kinds of woodland animals. He had been a lot more productive lately, finding it hard to kick back and relax nowadays. Then again, that's the nature of a man.

Navi sat on my lap, playing with one of her dolls. Link insisted on the name- I never knew why until a few years after her birth. Even now, I have yet to learn the full context. All I knew was she was a good friend. Who she was exactly was never explained, but I knew enough.

Meanwhile, I was sewing up Link's tunic. He had decided to run into the woods and fight Stalfo again out of boredom. If this kept up, he might try fighting in a war should one come up... He's been looking for jobs, but none seem to suit him well besides being a soldier at the castle.

Link's been considering it for a while now. Though the moment he gets near the castle, he freaks out and starts hallucinating it as Ganon's. So him ending up there won't happen for another million years.

Honestly, He just needs something to keep him busy- he keeps asking about chores so he could do something. I wonder if he'd take on butchery, or go to castle town and work with the smiths. He would do a good job at those, so he might take them on. Hopefully. He better not go running around fighting any more wars.

BA-DING!!!

The sharp clash of metal on wood snapped me out of my reverie and I quickly picked up my daughter. I gave a silent prayer to the Goddesses that Link hadn't smashed my handcrafted pot. Surely he'd love me enough to keep it safe... I made that for him on our first anniversary.

Rushing inside, preparing my heart to shatter like the vase, Navi in my arms- I saw that Link was... Sprawled across the floor. Holding a pan of muffins. How thoughtful! And my creation wasn't destroyed by that clumsy man!

I set our daughter down, where she ran to grab whatever muffins she could. Of course, she stuffed her face with the first one she saw- they were chocolate chip, our favourite.

I knelt by my lover, who was busy seeing stars and groaning like a madman. Such a silly boy, trying to take a pan out of the oven without gloves! Not the brightest, but then again, I'm the one who chose to marry this big oaf. Even if he could've broken a beautiful ornament to this household...

"Hey, Link! The floor comfy?" I asked, poking his cheek. It squished and he gave a small whine with a smile.

The fairy boy sat up and pulled me into a tight hug, his muscles squeezing the air I hadn't had time to fully breathe in, out of me. "Well, It's undeniably nice now, Y/n!" He said, kissing my forehead and pulling our daughter into the hug as well.

Navi squealed and snuggled between the two of us, getting into whatever parental warmth she could soak in. Which was, of course, all of it. I'd protect this girl with my life; she meant too much to me to just lose her in the blink of an eye. Navi was my daughter, after all. I'd fight hoards of monsters if it meant she was safe and sound.

Link would too. He defeated an entire camp of moblins for getting too close to our baby one night while we were camping. I wouldn't be surprised if he sacrificed himself to Ganon if it meant she'd be happy. She loves her daddy, so she'd be upset should he ever end up making such a decision. Meaning the possibility of that would be low as grass- still there, but not that high.

All in all, Link would never put himself in such a dire situation unless Hylia calls for it. He just loves us too much. Especially the little gremlin who jumped out of the hug when she heard the doorbell ring. We had told Navi that her auntie Malon would be coming over. She loved that farm girl; every time she came over there was always some kind of treat that our daughter liked.

I took myself out of Link's arms so I can go and greet my best friend of many years. There, standing at the door, is the same old ginger I always knew. Malon picked Navi up in one swift hug, leaving the girl breathless and giggling.

"Hi, auntie Malon!!!" Navi exclaimed, proceeding to hold onto the singer as any child would. She began looking around for the treat that girl always had, though found nothing. "No- no cookies..?" The baby whimpered, lip quivering and cheeks flushing red. Here comes the temper tantrum...

I took Navi off Malon's hands and cradled her the way my mom once did me. With love and compassion, fingers running smoothly through her hair, gentle backscratches to keep the girl calm... And it worked- as it always has. "Don't worry, babes... Mommy got you, there are cookies in the oven..." That single sentence was enough to calm her instantly. So long as she knew she was getting her sweet treat at some point, she couldn't care less.

"Well girlie, you gotta teach me how to take care of children before I end up with some!" Malon laughed, ruffling up our girls hair. She looked over at Link and put her hands on her hips. "Now how come I ain't got no hug from my favourite fairy boy??"

The hero, instead of giving Malon a hug, wrapped his arms around me. "Because only my wifey gets hugs." He put blatantly, nuzzling his head into the crook of my neck. I rolled my eyes and pat his cheeks. "And we'll be together forever and ever and ever!!!"
"Oh, quit acting like a big baby, Link," I said, taking my eyes off Malon and looking into the blood-red moons of my lover.