Chapter 3 ~ Assistant

Ryder

I have had a hard time focusing the rest of practice ever since I saw the woman who walked in. When I heard a thump and turned around, my last thought was that it would be a woman.

She had dark silky hair and she wore a black fitted skirt with black tights paired with a white sweater tucked in and some vans.

I wanted to go up to her and ask if she was okay after hitting whatever she hit but something stopped me and when she ran to Coach Graham's office, more questions came to mind and I couldn't clear my head.

I went back to tending to the kids who were in need of help. I applied for this job mainly because I loved hockey growing up and it pays very well. I was also a big fan of Coach Graham when I was little.

He was one of my influences and I watched every game he played and when I found out he was currently living in Minnesota, my inner child freaked and it freaked out more when a job offer was made.

I have grown more comfortable around him and made sure not to show my fangirl side because if that was the case, I would be jobless.

I wave the last kid goodbye after our morning session and I head to the locker room to grab my things.

I haven't seen the girl left so I'm assuming that she is still in Coach Graham's office. That gives me a perfect opportunity to see her since I always say goodbye to him after classes.

I sigh as I grab my things and head to his office trying to prepare myself mentally. I knock on the door before opening it and I see Coach Graham sitting on his chair stuffing a taco down his throat.

"I'm off Coach Graham, have a good one." I wave to him trying not to make it seem like I'm looking around the room for a specific person.

"Alright son, goodbye, tomorrow I need you here early in the morning."

"Oh um, I will let you know if I can, normally mornings are too busy for me but if anything changes I will call you." He nods his head and I shut the door walking out.

She left already.

Something in my chest starts to move as I try to picture the woman who I saw today. I shake my head to rid myself of any thoughts because I don't need that in my life right now.

I open the door to the rink and head to my car, throwing my stuff in the trunk. Once I'm about to get in, something catches my eye.

The same woman standing in the rink, stands before me, struggling to get her door opened. I bit my lip as I contemplated going over there.

Screw it.

I shut my car door and walk over to where she is. She hears me and turns around, giving me a smile. "Hello."

"Hi."

"My car door is stuck and I don't know what to do. Oh I can do it on the other side." The woman takes off and heads to the passenger door and opens it successfully and climbs over to her chair and sits, smiling in victory.

I can't help but smile at her as her face crunches realizing that her things are on the hood of the car.

I don't hesitate to grab her things, and head to the passenger door and place them in there.

"Thank you so much..." She trails off like she is asking for my name.

"Ryder. I'm Ryder." I try not to sound like a lovesick puppy but it's kind of har right now when a beautiful woman is smiling at my name.

"I'm Aurora, but you can call me Rory!" She reaches her hand out for me to shake which I gladly take.

"I like Aurora way better." I let my cocky side come out and lift my lips in a smirk. She smiles as we let go of each other's hands.

"Well, I better go. It was nice meeting you Ryder."

"Same to you Aurora." I shut the door and she leaves me standing where her car was. I shake my head smiling to myself as I walk back to my car.

💌

"He was a good boy but he needs to be fed." I nod my head as I lift my son from my sister's arms and shower him with kisses.

"Hey, are you working tomorrow morning?" I ask as I sit Laklyn in his car seat. "I am."

"Darn okay, it's fine I will figure something out." I wave her goodbye and get into my seat.

I drive back home while the sound of baby music plays in my car. I love my baby, but how does he even like this music?

I pull up to the house and grab everything including Laklyn and make my way into the house. I set everything down as I cradle my son in my arms.

I head to the kitchen and warm up a bottle for him while trying to come up with some dinner for me. Once his bottle is warm, I sit on the couch and feed him the bottle.

"How was your day huh?" I rock him back and forth, his eyes closing and opening due to it. I love talking to him even though he is only ten months old and can't respond back.

He is all I have. And my heart thought it should stay that way until I saw the pretty woman.

Once Laklyn is asleep I carry him to his crib, kiss him goodnight, and turn on his nightlight and leave.

I go to my room across the way and get myself ready for bed too. I take my phone out and send a text to Coach Graham.

"Hey, I can come into work tomorrow, but I don't have anywhere to put my son."

He responds no later than a minute later.

"My wife can watch him if you need, I will text you my address if you feel comfortable with her watching him. I swear she is one of the best, three kids can do that to you."

I smile at his response and let him know I'm open to that. One thing I like about Coach Graham is that he loves bragging about his amazing wife and his kids, and grandkids.

I hope to someday find that, but for now, it's just me and Laklyn.