Chapter 6 ~ Please

Ryder

It's been a week since I found out that the woman I have not been able to rid my mind, is the coach's daughter. It's been a week since I have gotten zero sleep because Laklyn has been fussy all night and it's a miracle when he is in a good mood.

I have been sending him to the coach's house still when I need him to be watched and Mrs. Graham always says he is doing just fine.

Maybe my own son just doesn't like me enough anymore to want to be around me.

Well sucks for him because he is stuck with me.

I just finished up with practice for the kids and I'm now on my way to pick him up, dreading the night that is about to come.

"Hey Mrs. Graham." I greet her as she hands Laklyn over to me. Lucky enough he lets me hold him with no complaints and doesn't even make a sound.

I thank her as I buckle Laklyn into the car and start when he starts getting fussy. I notice a car is parked next to the driveway. I recognize the car because I helped the woman into it.

I do my best to not get out of my car and walk back to the door and talk to her.

💌

"Laklyn please, just pipe down." I say as I try to rock him but he doesn't allow me to. I sigh as I grab my shoes and put them on as well as my coat. I head outside our house and start walking Laklyn around the gated community.

We have a variety of houses and apartment complexes here so I like to walk around everything to get Laklyn sound asleep.

Laklyn doesn't want to shut up so I start walking faster to the apartment complexes.

After about 5 minutes of doing so, Laklyn stops. But instead of crying, he takes his hands and starts reaching out to something and tries to get out of my hold.

I scrunch my eyebrows in confusion as I look to where he is grabbing. Aurora stands near an apartment door and struggles to open it.

I cannot help but stare at her, she lives here, in the same community as I do. And Laklyn is reaching out to her.

Since that was what I was worried about. That maybe Aurora and Laklyn have bonded so much that he has taken such a liking to her and he wants her instead of me.

Laklyn begins crying again which gains her attention. She turns to us and she smiles at Laklyn but when she sees me, her smile falters.

"Ryder?" Her sweet voice comes out. I nod my head. Aurora doesn't hesitate to shove all her things in her apartment door and come down to us.

Once in front of me, she gives me a smile. "How are you?" She asks, looking at me and nothing else.

"I've been better, how have you been?" She then looks to the baby in my arms who is staring at her in awe. "Laklyn?" I nod my head as she recognizes the baby.

"What are you doing with Laklyn?"

"I'm his father?" I would have expected that her parents told her about me. But it makes sense since they don't know me and Aurora have met.

"Father?" I nod once more. Her smile widens as she looks back at me. "Well, you are very lucky to be his father." Laklyn wraps his hand around her tiny finger.

"Sometimes it doesn't feel like it, but I know." I smirk as she looks up to me next. "What do you mean sometimes?"

I shrug, "Laklyn has been a troublemaker every time I try to put him down for a nap, and at bedtime. He wont stop crying and it's been going on for a week. It normally doesn't last this long."

I tell her the truth because maybe, maybe she can help me figure out what to do.

"Do you want to come in?" She gestures to her place. I think about it for a while but decide it's best not to. "I'm good thank you though." I try to be as nice as I can. She gives me a smile and nod.

"Well okay, bye bye Laklyn." She bids him goodbye and showers his face with kisses to which he giggles from. Kind of wishing that was me.

Stop.

Aurora turns and walks to her place. I notice how quickly Laklyn's mode changes and he starts to wine a little bit. I walk back to our house and make him milk to try to make him sleepy.

💌

I look at my clock and see it's 3 in the morning and Laklyn is still going strong, crying at every chance he gets.

I give up. I take a hold of him and don't even bother to put on shoes, a coat, or even a shirt. I walk out my door, locking it and heading over to the apartment complex.

I knock on the door and wait for an answer. I don't know what I'm thinking, thinking that she is going to answer the door at three in the morning. I wouldn't.

I feel bad for waking her up but once she opens the door looking wide awake, smiling, I start to think I did not wake her up. "Ryder?"

"Please, please, please, help me to get him asleep."