Chapter 28 ~ Accepted

Ryder

It's an absolute sight to see when the baby I have made, and the woman I couldn't help but fall for, is laying down right next to me on the green grass and sleeping.

Laklyn had called Aurora his mom, and to me... that was a pretty big deal. And I have no clue what Aurora is feeling on the inside, but on the outside, she seemed happy about it.

I lay on my side as I looked at the two most important people in my life. And to see if Aurora has changed since I saw her a couple weeks ago.

I can't believe it's been weeks without her, weeks of pain, for both me and Laklyn. I want to run my hand in her hair and tell her what really happened, and what I told her was the truth.

But I want her to listen to me willingly, and if I have to wait, then I'll wait.

I see Laklyn starting to move around, Aurora still laying still as he opens his eyes. His head falls back down to her chest but he looks at me with tired eyes.

I smile at him and lean in to kiss his cheek, to which he gives me a small smile. He looks away from me and back at a sleeping Aurora. He brings one hand and plays with her hair. "Mama?" his tiny voice coming out almost as if he is pleading for her to wake up.

He looks back to me, his eyes filling with tears. I move closer and run my hand on his head. "Is that Mama?" I whisper, pointing to Aurora, as if Laklyn understands me, he looks to her again, "Mama." It doesn't come out as a question this time.

Aurora stirs in her sleep, she eventually opens her eyes and looks at Laklyn with sweet eyes, she kisses his cheek as he thrashes and giggles. "Mama." I could see her tense, but she relaxes when he wraps his tiny hand around her finger.

I clear my throat, she looks me in the eyes for the first time since the last time we saw each other. "Hey..." Her voice was unsure.

"Hi." I whispers softly, she gives me a tight smile. "I'm uh- I'm sorry if you're not comfortable with him calling me that-'' I cut her off. "Aurora, I couldn't ask for a better mother figure for him than you." I give her my answer.

I see tears prick in her eyes as she nods. "Look Aurora, when you are ready to listen to me, I will tell you everything, leaving nothing out." I look her in the eyes. She looks back at me and shrugs.

"I don't know what to thing Ryder I- it really messed with my head and my heart and I-"

"I know darlin... and that's why I'm going to give you time to think, but I'm not letting you go because it would break me too much to see you leave." My voice comes out shaky.

She sniffles. "I should trust you-" I shake my head. "Aurora I knew- as soon as you told me you had a disorder that prevents you from letting people in, and keeping them in, that I would have to prove myself so much more. I don't care if you don't trust me yet- I get it because I would think the same."

She sits up, with Laklyn in her lap and she looks at me. "I want to trust you again. I want you to tell me your side." My heart aches in relief.

"I want to let you in and I want to do it right." I nod my head as she speaks. "I'm sorry Ryder."

"No Aurora you have nothing to be sorry for- I understand your doubts and hesitation." This time she nods back at me and gives me a soft and genuine smile.

"If we are doing this my way... I want my dad to know we are involved, so that it doesn't cause any complications."

💌

I get out of my truck the next day, my workplace standing right in front of me, Aurora at my side giving me a reassuring smile that makes my heart say "Whatever happens, if you lose your job, it's worth it for this girl."

We walked to the building. Not hand in hand, but close.

We are here about an hour and a half before practice starts. I open the door as the chills in my spine creep. Aurora walks in with me following her.

She doesn't hesitate, she walks to her dad's office and opens the door. "Rory?" His voice is soft. She nods her head as she rounds the desk and hugs him. "Ryder?" He looks over her shoulder. "What are you guys both doing here?"

Aurora looks at me when they break away from the hug and nods, I walk in farther and take a seat while he takes his. Aurora stands next to me.

"Dad." Aurora breathes out and he nods for her to go on while he looks at me.

"Me and Ryder have been hanging out, ever since we met each other we have been seeing each other and going on dates and being with each other. I didn't tell you because I didn't want to end up hurt and have him lose his job. And you're not going to fire him. Because he is a good man who has taken care of me these past months and he understands me. And if we decided to stop hanging out, he still gets to keep his job." She rushes everything out, my heart seems to warm at her words.

I gulp as I keep my eyes on him, I feel like it would be disrespectful to look down and not at him. "I see." His voice comes out. "Why are you telling me now then?"

"Because something happened, Laklyn's mom-" She looks at me as if asking permission, I nod.

"Laklyn's mom had seen us together- she came to me and told me her and Ryder were back together- seeing each other and I fell apart. And I don't know the whole story yet but-" She looks back at me with soft eyes. "I'm going to give it a shot."

Her father looks at her- he admires his daughter and you can see it so perfectly. He looks at her with kind eyes. He's not angry with her.

"Well this was unexpected but not totally." My eyes widened. "What?"

"Your mother- she would bug me all the time about how I should set you two up... I was against it because I was afraid you would get hurt and I would have to fire my best man... If you are not worried about where this is going... I'm okay with it. But I want you to know that I love you too much to see your hurt and not do anything so..." He stands and walks over to me.

"I can't promise that if you hurt her you can keep your job but- I have seen glances here and there and I know for a fact that- that that's the way I look at my wife... Fayette. And I want all my kids to have that love. I raised my boys to love like me... to respect woman, and I taught my daughter that she needed to be with a respectful man and you Ryder Collins- are the only one who looks at my daughter like she is your world and I know that because I have loved my wife since I was younger then you." He looks at me.

I feel what he's saying and I respect him so much for saying those things because he is right. I see how he looks at his wife, and I'm the happiest man ever to know that he sees that in me with his daughter.

I hear Aurora sniffle as she walks to her dad and hugs him tight. "I love you dad." He hugs her back. "I love you more sweetheart."

I stand in front of him as he looks at me. "Take care of her fragile heart."

"I will."

A/N

I'm sorry but still after 5 books, I cant get over Elias! He is number one in my books and he is such a great father!!