Chapter 33 ~ Fridge Light

Aurora

I sit on the couch with Laklyn in my arms as we wait for Ryder to get home. I moved in with them the day after I signed the custody papers. Laklyn is officially my child as well.

He babbles in my arms as he hears the keys to the door jiggle. Soon enough, the door opens and Ryder comes in with his bag and all. He spots us on the couch and gives us a smile. He walks up to us and kisses Laklyn's head and he kisses my lips.

He sits down next to us and wraps an arm around us. "How was work?" I snuggle deeper into him, Laklyn crawling to sit on his lap.

"It was a good day, the kids are improving so much." I pull away to look at him and smile. I love hearing about his day at work. Normally he will tell me all the stuff that goes down.

It's pretty entertaining.

"How was your guys' day?" He kisses me again. "It was good, Laklyn is crawling more and soon enough he will be walking." Another kiss. "I'm glad darlin."

My phone rings, bringing me out of my trance. I frown and get up to answer it, an unknown number comes across my screen as I lift it to my ears. "Hello?"

"Hello there, is this Ms. Graham?"

"This is her." I look at Ryder in confusion. He does the same, not taking his eyes off me. "Great, so we went ahead and approved your purchase. Congratulations, you now own your own restaurant."

My heart beats in my chest as I am still in my place. The place is mine. My dream place is mine. "Oh my gosh um thank you so much." I let out a humorous chuckle and ran my hand over my forehead. "When can I move things?"

"Any time you like Miss, have a great day, check your email for more information." Before I can say bye, she hangs up. I place my phone on the counter as I look at Ryder. He still looks confused, Laklyn now passed out.

"What was it?" He stands and walks to me.

"I got the place that I wanted for my restaurant." I say to him, now snapping back into reality I smile.

"What?! Oh my gosh darling, I'm so proud of you!" He smiles at me now and lifts me up and spins me around. I giggle as I begin to become dizzy. He sets me down on the counter and places a soft kiss on my lips.

"I'm so proud of you darling." He whispers and rests his head on my chest while I run my hands in his hair. "Thank you Ryder, for not letting me give up." I whisper back.

We stay like this for a while, the sun starting to set, I make us all dinner to celebrate and we spend the rest of the evening laughing, playing with Laklyn, and watching movies.

It's around nine pm when Laklyn starts to get tired again. I see Ryder asleep on the couch so I move from his hold and I carry Laklyn to his room. I change him into comfy clothes and change his diaper as I lay him in bed.

I turn the lights off except for his night light above his crib, and I shut the door carefully. I make my way down stairs to wake Ryder up to head to bed, but all the lights are turned off and Ryder is nowhere in sight.

I scrunch my eyebrows in confusion but I make my way to our room, sure enough, Ryder is shirtless, in his pajama pants and curled up in our bed. I smile as I make my way to the bathroom and get ready myself.

I step out and get into bed as well, Ryder feeling the bed I'm assuming, he groans and rolls over and goes back to drooling. I smile as I get myself comfortable. I close my eyes and before I fall asleep, I feel arms wrap around me.

I smile as he brings me closer to him and places his head in the crook of my neck. He kisses my neck and then falls back asleep along with me.

💌

I wake up to the baby monitor going off, Ryder is still in a deep sleep, so I get up carefully and out the door to Laklyn's room. I open the door and see the crying baby, standing in his crib and trying to keep his balance as he cries.

I frown but I close the door and walk over to him, picking him up he stops crying so hard and cuddles into me. "Mama." Hw whines as I let him rest his head on my neck. "It's okay baby, I'm right here."

I try to get him to fall back asleep but nothing will work. I then open his door and we head down to the kitchen to get him milk. I open the fridge and look around for the milk. I'm about to reach for it when I feel a pair of arms wrap around me.

"What are you doing up?" His tired voice says as he rests his head on my back. I smile. "Laklyn needed some milk." I feel him nod. I turn to face him, he now stands straight as he smiles at me, the fridge light giving him a good look at my face.

He steps as close as he can and wraps his arms around my back, holding me and Laklyn, he starts to sway back and forth. "I've always wanted to dance in the fridge light." I giggle at his words, getting the hint I start to sway as well.

I rest my head on his chest, his head on my head, Laklyn rests between both of us as Ryder starts to hum and sway us back and forth. Despite it being two in the morning and us barely awake, we do this for what seems like forever.

Ryder stops his movement and looks at me. "You're so beautiful, I love you." He then leans in to kiss me. "I love you too Ryder."

Laklyn babbles as if trying to get our attention we both laugh and start kissing his face. He giggles as we do so. Once he falls asleep, Ryder takes us up to our room.

We fall asleep in Ryder's protective arms. I couldn't ask for a better life. And I'm forever thankful that my heart allowed me to open up to Ryder and Laklyn.

I'll never have to hurt again as long as I'm with them.