Chapter 11 - Election Day

"Good luck, BBM... I miss you."

Bong Bong put his phone back in his pocket after reading Leni's text message from a few days ago. He had a serious look on his face.

"That's cold even for you, Bong Bong. Di mo man lang ba siya bibigyan ng reply?"

Startled, Bong Bong turned around and found out that Ben was just behind him.

The election day has finally come.

After voting in the morning, Bong Bong traveled straight to his headquarters. He was bound to meet with his team in order to keep watch of his votes for the next few hours.

Ben casually took a seat on the meeting table and said,

"Why don't you take a seat? There's no use worrying about the election results. Himala nalang ang magpapatalo sa inyo ni Sara."

Bong Bong frowned as he eventually took his own seat. Ben was not his favorite person as of the moment but he's willing to concede that he's an excellent campaign manager who gets the job done.

"I appreciate everything that you've done for me as my campaign manager, Ben. However, I'd prefer it if you stay out of my personal affairs." Bong Bong said.

"Right... but as your friend, I'm just looking out for you." Ben explained,

"Do you seriously think your relationship with that woman will stay the same after the elections? Di ka pa nga nanalo, sinisiraan ka na ng mga kakampi niya...

... what more kung nag-protesta pa sila? Will you be able to accept that? Will you still be happy to be with her?"

Bong Bong was silent for a moment. He did not want to admit it to Ben but it did cross his mind a lot of times.

It's why he's been acting distant to her ever since they last said goodbye. A part of him knows that everything might not be so smooth between them after the elections.

Sure, Leni became someone special to Bong Bong but is she special enough to not be resented by him if her allies doesn't accept defeat and cause divide?

Bong Bong finally answered him, trying to shift his focus away from her.

"My feelings should be the least of your concerns now, Ben. Ang importante ngayon is mabantayan natin nang maigi yung election results."

Ben sighed.

"I like that you're a practical man, Bong Bong. For what it's worth, you will always have my loyalty. Even if you don't like me now, naniniwala pa din ako na you deserve to be president."

Suddenly, Ben's phone rang. He turned to Bong Bong,

"Excuse me. I have to take this."

Bong Bong no longer replied to him as Ben stood up and left the room to take a call.

Bong Bong sat in silence for a moment till he heard a noise nearby.

"Make way! Andito na si VP!"

VP? Bong Bong thought.

He quickly stood up and went to the source of the noise only to find out that it's just his cousin, Martin -  announcing Sara's arrival.

"BBM! Andito ka na pala."

Sara was smiling as she approached Bong Bong to greet him with a friendly hug.

Bong Bong awkwardly laughed.

"Ito talagang si Martin... Kala ko kung sinong VP ang dumating."

Martin grinned as he loudly replied,

"Sino pa ba kung hindi si IN-DAY SA-RA?"

"DU-TER-TE!!!" The nearby staff chanted.

They all laughed.

"Grabe pala talaga ang effort ng campaign manager mo, Inday." Bong Bong said.

"Siyempre, takot ko nalang malagot sa kanya kapag hindi daw siya nanalo." Martin joked.

Sara playfully hit him. Martin reacted,

"Aray! Oh. Tingan mo..."

All of a sudden, Ben walked in the room and joined the conversation,

"Dapat lang na manalo si Sara. It's only right for Bong Bong to be with the VP that he deserves."

Bong Bong's smile slowly faded, aware of the double-meaning behind Ben's comment.

Oblivious to the tension between Ben and Bong Bong, Sara remarked,

"Salamat sa tiwala, apo Ben. Anyway, I guess handa na kayong lahat para sa walang tulugan, ano?"

Ben nodded as he signalled for everyone's attention, raising his voice to be heard by everybody in the room.

"Everyone, the next few hours and days will be very crucial to all of us. Siguraduhin nating mababantayan ng maigi and mga boto ni BBM and Sara...

... I just received a call a while ago na mayroon nang mga anomalies na nangyayari against BBM. Do what you must to raise any issues and help our voters. Most importantly, walang matutulog. CLEAR?"

"CLEAR!!!"

Everybody turned back to their workstations as Bong Bong pulled Ben aside to ask him,

"What kind of anomalies are you referring to, Ben?"

Ben had a grim look on his face as he replied,

"Some voters who shaded your name name have complained na ibang tao ang lumalabas sa resibo nila...

... and it's all in favor of another presidential candidate. I'm sure di ko na siya kailangang pangalanan pa."

Bong Bong immediately knew who he was referring to:

Leni.

Ben continued,

"Let this be the last time that I'll bring this up:

Have mercy on yourself, Bong Bong. Kung mismong mga kakampi na niya ang nagpapahirap sayo then...

she will never be good for you."

===

The next few hours have been restless for Bong Bong and his team. Anxiety was felt by everybody in his headquarters as they waited for the vote counting to start.

7:58...

7:59...

8:00...

"It's time." Ben said.

Everybody turned to the big TV as the votes are finally being transmitted.

Three hours passed by and everyone could already see that Bong Bong has a significant lead against Leni. However, Bong Bong was still anxious as the numbers are being added by the minute.

Another hour passed... Then another... Then another...

Bong Bong remained speechless as he stared at the current numbers on the screen:

Marcos: 28 960 465

Robredo: 13 839 638

Martin put his hand on Bong Bong's shoulder as he said,

"That's already 90.91% of the votes, insan. You're gonna be the next president."