Chapter 6 Red Sky At Morning

Dean is driving down the road, Sam is in the passenger's seat and Hermione in the backseat between them. There is a tense silence in the car, which Dean breaks.

'So, I've been waiting since Maple Springs. You got something to tell me?' Dean asks Sam. Hermione stops writing in her notebook and looks up.

'It's not your birthday,'

'No,'

'...Happy Purim?' Sam laughs. 'Dude, I don't know. I have no idea what you're talking about—'

'There is a bullet missing from the Colt,' Dean cuts him off. 'You want to tell me how that happened? I know it wasn't me or Hermione. So unless you were shooting at some incredibly evil cans...'

'Dean...'

'You went after her, didn't you? The Crossroads Demon. After I told you not to,'

Yeah, well...'

'You could have gotten yourself killed!'

'I didn't,'

'And you shot her,'

'She was a smartass!'

'So, what? Does that, does that mean I'm out of my deal?'

'Don't you think I might have mentioned that little fact, Dean? No. Someone else holds the contract,'

'Who?' Hermione asks.

'She wouldn't say,'

'Well, we should find out who. Of course, our best lead would be the Crossroads Demon. Oh, wait a minute...' Dean responds.

'That's not funny,'

'No, it's not! It was a stupid freaking risk, and you shouldn't have done it,'

'I shouldn't have done it? You're my brother, Dean. And no matter what you do, I'm gonna try and save you. And I'm sure as hell not gonna apologize for it, all right?' Dean is silent. Sam shakes his head. Hermione glances towards the boys again before returning to writing in her notebook.

Sam, Dean and Hermione are impersonating officers of the law to interview a witness. The witness was holding a framed photograph of the shower-drowing victim. Her name is Gertrude Case, an elegant and well-groomed and approximately 70 year old woman.

'But I don't understand. I already went over all this with the other detectives,' Gert informs Sam, Dean and Hermione.

'Right, yes. But, see, we're with the Sheriff's Department, not the police department—different departments,' Dean explains.

'So, Mrs. Case...' Sam starts.

'Please,' Gert looks intently at Sam. 'Ms. Case,'

'Okay. Um, Ms. Case, um...you were the one who found your niece, correct?'

'I came home, she was in the shower,'

'Drowned?' Hermione asks.

'So the coroner says. Now, you tell me, how can someone drown in the shower?'

'How would you describe Sheila's behavior in the days before her death? I mean, did she seem frightened? Maybe she said something out of the ordinary, or...?' Sam asks.

'Wait a minute. You're working with Alex, aren't you?'

'Yep. Absolutely. That's Alex and us, we're like this,' Dean responds.

'Why didn't you say so? Alex has been such a comfort. But I'm sorry. I thought the case was solved,'

'Uh...Well, no. No, not yet,' Sam responds.