chapter one - its a crime to be an artist

༉‧₊˚. ✧. *. ⋆┄✧┄┄┄┄ ⋆┊┊┊┊ ➶ 𓆉。˚ ✧┊┊┊✧ ⁺ ⁺  °┊┊ .𓆟 ͎. 。˚ ° ┊┊ ┊┊ ➶ 。˚   ┊┊ ✧ ⁺. ┊┊. ➶-͙˚ ༘✶┊ ➶ 。˚   °*. * ·"

           *    ·"

༉‧₊˚. ✧. *. ⋆┄✧┄┄┄┄ ⋆┊┊┊┊ ➶ 𓆉。˚ ✧┊┊┊✧ ⁺ ⁺  °┊┊ .𓆟 ͎. 。˚ ° ┊┊ ┊┊ ➶ 。˚   ┊┊ ✧ ⁺. ┊┊. ➶-͙˚ ༘✶┊ ➶ 。˚   °*. * ·"

I hadn't always expected it to go down like this.

I mean, it was one. Stupid. Mistake.

I just wanted to paint a mural. Why is it so awful wanting to express one's feelings through art? Is that such a crime?

"You have the right to remain silent! Anything you--"

I guess it was a crime to be an artist.

I rolled my eyes when the sheriff deputy continued on his most prized mandatory right speech as he wrangled my wrists behind my back, pressing my hands against each other and into the side of his patrol car. It didn't take long for the cold metal cuffs to clip on--we were back to square one all over all again.

It was half-past midnight as we stood in the middle of an old company warehouse parking lot, moments ago having played cat and mouse on the rooftops before we made our way toward the ground level. I didn't plan on getting caught. In fact, I had laid out all the exact timing to know when Ryan--the sheriff who currently was spitting tac in my face -- always went to go grab an extra cup of coffee on his late night shift and two donut holes. He wasn't supposed to get back only for two more minutes, giving me enough time to--

"You did what?!" Kimi, my step-mom, was beyond furious as she stood fuming in the doorway, maddened to see me half-cuffed and in the company of a rather miffed sheriff-- a sheriff who knew me well seeing as he chased me around a mall, a DVD store, and I believe Walmart, all of which I might have been to blame for. No matter, I considered the sheriff and I friends at this point.

I would say, I made his night.

See, Kimi wasn't really my mom. Legally maybe, but blood related was a definite no. Kimi was a middle-aged woman with a scowl that seemed permanently etched on her face and bright blue eyes that could tranquilize you where you stood. Between her and I, we didn't exist on the same level plane. She played the nurse field, always out on late shifts, always telling me what to do and how to act and 'if dad were here, he would want you...', always finding some means to scold me, always, literally always casing my bedroom for drugs or whatnot even though I was a devoted Christian who didn't even smoke while I spent my time trying to avoid her 'parenting talks'. Needless to say, Kimi was a pain in my ass.